The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

An Abundance of Katherines - John Green

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction
Image result for an abundance of katherines
Blurb (on back of book): 19 Katherines and counting...
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun—but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove the Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, average Dumpees everywhere, and may finally win him the girl.

MY OPINION: *****

Contrary to MANY of my Goodreads friends or real-life friends, I really enjoyed reading this book. It was hilarious and so real to life and I just loved it.

I don't know what it was about this book that made me love it, but I really did. Maybe it was the uniqueness of this book... it was so different from any other that I have read. Maybe it was the amount of humor in this book that was vaguely cheesy but still funny. Or maybe it was because of Hassan.

Whatever the reason, I really liked this book...

Colin Singleton. I liked him a lot more than I had expected. Everyone says he is annoying, and it's true. Some parts of him were annoying and irritating and infuriating. But he was so honest and innocent and out-of-sync with the world that made me resonate with him because I'm one of those people who doesn't really know things until I go and Google it in private :D I also loved how he is so smart and willing to study... I study even though people may call it nerdy or stupid. I want that 100%, okay?

Hassan. Definitely my favorite character in the book. He was hilarious. I loved his jokes, his stupidity, and I liked how he wasn't self-conscious about his size or anything. He also had the ability to make light of every situation, including the fact that his girlfriend basically cheated on him.

Lindsey. I hate to say it but I hated her. I don't know why, but her character aggravated me and I hated reading about her. She was too attached to TOC (The other Colin) and it was annoying. I disliked her personality as well.

I loved reading every part of this book: the footnotes, the after-parts, the Q&A and of course, the book. It was really well-written and I completely enjoyed the whole book through and through.

It was really obvious that Lindsey and Colin were going to end up together. It was cliche but sweet. I honestly thought that that note at the end was real until I read the postscript. 😂😂😂

I liked how so much of this book was spent with math. I enjoy math, though English and writing are more of my thing, and this book had a LOT of math. Of course, since Colin is a genius of sorts, it didn't really make sense to me and I understood about 1% of it, but it was a strange sort of beautiful to look at the equations... I'm a nerd, okay?

I know, I know, this is a short review. For me. But I'm going to end it here... I would recommend this book to YA realistic fiction lovers who like a ton of adventure and humor... as well as some snippets of romance. Or love.

Main Character: Colin
Sidekick(s): Hassan, Lindsey, Hollis, etc
Villain(s): TOC, Katherines, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book was all very real to life and had realistic scenes, characters, etc

Comments