The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

The Problem With Forever - Jennifer L. Armentrout

The Problem With Forever by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction

Image result for the problem with foreverBlurb (on back of book)For some people, silence is a weapon. For Mallory “Mouse” Dodge, it’s a shield. Growing up, she learned that the best way to survive was to say nothing. And even though it’s been four years since her nightmare ended, she’s beginning to worry that the fear that holds her back will last a lifetime.
Now, after years of homeschooling with loving adoptive parents, Mallory must face a new milestone—spending her senior year at public high school. But of all the terrifying and exhilarating scenarios she’s imagined, there’s one she never dreamed of—that she’d run into Rider Stark, the friend and protector she hasn’t seen since childhood, on her very first day.
It doesn’t take long for Mallory to realize that the connection she shared with Rider never really faded. Yet the deeper their bond grows, the more it becomes apparent that she’s not the only one grappling with the lingering scars from the past. And as she watches Rider’s life spiral out of control, Mallory faces a choice between staying silent and speaking out—for the people she loves, the life she wants, and the truths that need to be heard.

MY OPINION: *****

I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH!!!!!

I wanted to get this review up as fast as I could because I didn't want to forget anything about it for my final thoughts...

This book dealt with a lot. It had a lot of deep stuff that is sometimes hard to think about and I liked how this author had the nerve and the bravery to write about all of this stuff and share it with the world.

First, this book starts with a scene from the main character's past. It shows that Mallory was severely abused as a child. Well... she lived with a foster parent who had terrible anger management issues. She was always protected by her "foster brother" and was taught and indoctrinated with the belief that she would be safe if she stayed quiet and hid away. Rider, the boy who always protected her, told her this repeatedly and as she grew up, she never lost this idea.

I thought it was so cute that Rider read The Velveteen Rabbit so much to Mallory to calm her down or whatever. I also like the message the author gave by using this book. I will forever think of this book differently.

Anyways, the man who abused Mallory so much threw a doll that Rider had given Mallory into the fire and Mallory burned herself. Being a kid, she screamed: hence, the neighbors heard and called the police. Mr. Henry was then arrested and Rider and Mallory were sent to new homes.

When Mallory went to the hospital to treat the burns, the doctors there decided to adopt her.

Doctors adopted Mallory and she lived happily with them for the next four years. I thought that it was so cool that she was homeschooled because I used to be homeschooled so I could relate. Anyways, she decided that for her senior year of high school, she wanted to start public school and then go to college.

At the high school, she reunites with Rider. Boom. Story.

Ok, I liked Mallory but she wasn't my favorite character. Yeah, she had a hard life, and yeah, I understand why she was always so quiet, but I hated how she never could speak up for herself. That was the point of her character, but I still did not appreciate the fact that Mallory was always walked over.

Rider was an interesting character. The book seemed to be all about Mallory, but in reality, I think it was mostly about Rider. He never changed. He gave up on himself. He refused to try. Those were the things that made Mallory drawn to him to try to fix him. I liked how he was such a complicated character and everything.

Paige. She just felt like more of a minor secondary character that really didn't need to be there. Sure, she was like an obstacle to Rider and Mallory's relationship, but it was kind of obvious it would always be them two. Paige didn't really need to be in the picture in the first place.

Ainsley. Her story was kind of depressing because I always worry about my own eyes, so that was scary. But I loved how loyal and awesome and brave she was. I wish I had a friend like her. I'm not saying my friends aren't awesome, but Ainsley was just... wow. Fictional.

Hector. I loved him. He wasn't my favorite character, but I think he was important and I enjoyed reading about him. I hated what happened to him in the end. He was just so innocent and amazing.

Jayden. What can I even say about him? I loved how funny and easygoing he was and he was definitely my favorite character. I CANNOT BELIEVE HE DIED. Though I did call that. I was like, he's going to die. And he did. I liked how the author used his death as a message to not get involved in drugs and debt and how you should try to get out when you can. But his death was so sad. I literally cried. I hated how it all ended for him. He was just so nice and incredible.

Carl and Rosa. I didn't know what to feel about them. I hated Carl as a character in the book, that's for sure. Rosa... I feel as if she was too malleable and plastic and never made up her own mind until the end. I wish she was more independent.

I loved this book so much! This might be one of my favorite books of all time. I just really enjoyed reading this. I liked how it dealt with issues such as drugs, abuse, and death in such a real way.

I would recommend this book to readers who are ready for some real and harsh facts of life. YA lovers!!!

Main Character: Mallory
Sidekick(s): Rider, Ainsley, Hector, Jayden, Paige?, Carl, Rosa, etc
Villain(s): Carl (at some points), abuse, Mr. Henry and his friends, death, drugs, Paige (at some points), etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book dealt with some very real things in life.

Comments