The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

City of Glass - Cassandra Clare - UPDATED VERSION

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Genre: YA Fantasy

Image result for city of glass
Blurb (on back of book)To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.
As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?
Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the third installment of the New York Times bestselling series The Mortal Instruments.

MY OPINION: *****

This book is still a five stars. It definitely improved from City of Ashes.

I LOVED THIS ENDING. Despite having read this before, some of it still surprised me or caught me off guard, and I liked that element. The book itself as a whole was really interesting and kept me reading, though it did take me a while. I've been reading other stuff at the same time, so...

Clary definitely grew up in this book. She matured, became more independent, courageous, and rebellious even. She was more on my good side in this book, which was good, since I was reading about her basically the whole time.

Jace. I loved him just as much as before, though he may not be my favorite character anymore. I don't think I really have one. I think maybe once I get to the fifth and sixth books, which I have not read already, he might be more towards the top than he is now. Anyways, I liked how brave he was and independent and determined. I thought he was so loyal and it really struck me how good-natured he really was, despite thinking he was part-demon.

Simon. I didn't hate him quite as much as before, but he is still pretty low on my list. He's too loyal and nice. LIKE NO. HE HAS TO GIVE UP AND MOVE ON. Just because things worked out with Luke and Jocelyn does not mean that it is going to work out with Simon and Clary. Anyways, Simon was too nerdy for me, which may seem kind of rude, but the least he could do is not be so oblivious, especially when it came to girls.

Isabelle and Alec. I loved Isabelle SO much. She just might become my favorite character. I love how brave, determined, and awesome she was, especially being younger and a female. I loved how she was so strong and loyal to her friends as well. Alec.. I liked him, but not as much. He too, was/is under the throngs of unrequited love for Jace, though he does seem to have moved on to Magnus. I like how Alec stayed true to his heart and never strayed from who he was, despite the prejudices against "gay" people in the Shadowhunter world.

Sebastian. Wow. Just wow. That's it.

Maia. I didn't like her as much. She had an attitude kinda, which I did not enjoy, and I also didn't like how her character was as a whole. There wasn't too much of her in this book, though I know that in the next two books, there is a lot more of her.

Valentine. Wow. That ended quickly. What more is there to even write about? Unless.. he's not dead. This sucks. I need to read more. 

I like how this book was a good example of loyalty, bravery, and being determined. I would recommend this book to people who like a lot of YA and romance.

Main Character: Clary
Sidekick(s): Simon, Jace, Alec, Isabelle, Maia, Luke, Jocelyn, etc
Villain(s): Sebastian, Valentine, demons, etc
Fantasy Elements: This book featured fanatic characters, settings, creatures, and places.

Comments