The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Ashes to Ashes - Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian

Ashes to Ashes by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian
Genre: YA Drama

Blurb (on back of book)New Year's Eve ended with a bang and Mary, Kat and Lillia may not be prepared for what is to come.
Image result for ashes to ashes bookAfter Rennie's death, Kat and Lillia try to put the pieces together of what happened to her. They both blame themselves. If Lillia hadn't left with Reeve... If Kat had only stayed with Rennie... Things could have been different. Now they will never be the same.
Only Mary knows the truth about that night. About what she is. She also knows the truth about Lillia and Reeve falling in love, about Reeve being happy when all he deserves is misery, just like the misery he caused her. Now their childish attempts at revenge are a thing of the past and Mary is out for blood. Will she leave anything in her wake or will all that remain be ashes?

MY OPINION: *****

I was thinking about giving this book a four stars, but after that ending I moved it up to a five stars.

I loved it! I can't believe how much it resonated with me. I really enjoyed reading this series, and although I didn't appreciate the ending as much, this felt like a very satisfying and realistic conclusion. I hate when books end, and this one was not an exception. I wish it still kept on going on and on and on. I want to know what happened to Reeve, Lilia, Kat, and Alex!

Lilia seemed very different in this book. I liked how she seemed more mature and independent but wasn't afraid to go to her friends for help if she needed it. She was a very brave person who I admired and enjoyed reading about. Her perspective was my favorite and always looked forward to.

Kat. I liked her, but I didn't like her "badass" personality. I mean, she was kind of rude to people because of it and it was just getting on me. She was a nice person and a good character, but I didn't really like her personality. This might be because it is the exact opposite of me, but...

Mary. OMG. I hated her so much! As a character, she was really well-written and drawn, but if this was real, UGH. I hated her. Her thirst for death and revenge was just grotesquely cruel. I think that's the first time I've used that word on this blog. :D

Anyways, Mary was just annoying, cruel, rude, and someone that I hated, and I'm sure many other fellow readers can agree with me.

Reeve. I still loved him. Despite how jerky he was before, or even now, or how cruel he was to Mary, I LOVED HIM. Ok? I'm not weird, ok? I just think he was a really cool character that just did some bad things in the past. So did Mary. So did Kat. So did Lilia. So... there isn't any point in pinpointing everything on him, even though his "bullying" did have some MAJOR consequences. It technically was her fault in the first place because she was the one who kept trying to get closer and closer with Reeve, so Mary has no point in blaming him. But I do understand how she feels..

Alex. He was so annoying. I wish he could just give up with Lilia and end up with Kat. Ok? I didn't hate him but his LOVE LIFE GOT ON MY NERVES. UGH.

Ok, so I liked how this book was so incredibly different.

When Lilia broke up with Reeve, I literally cried. No joke. And if you don't already know, I NEVER CRY IN BOOKS. That much. I just love romances and when they don't work out I GET DEPRESSED. It's just so sad! I mean, I can read a whole book about death and not even think about shedding a tear, and no, I am not coldhearted, ok? But with romances, I always tear up when they break up even if they do manage to get back together. Which leads me to my next point..

REEVE AND LILIA DIDN'T EVEN END UP TOGETHER. WHAT IS THIS???? I can't believe it! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I hated it!

I would recommend this book to YA readers who like paranormal and romance stories in one.

Main Character: Lilia, Kat, Mary
Sidekick(s): Alex, Reeve, Ash, PJ, Derek, Rennie?, etc
Villain(s): Mary, revenge, death, suicide, bullying, etc
Drama Elements: This book was all very dramatic and played out.

Comments