The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

We'll Always Have Summer - Jenny Han

We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han
Genre: YA Romance/Realistic Fiction

Image result for we'll always have summerBlurb (on back of book): It's been two years since Conrad told Belly to go with Jeremiah. She and Jeremiah have been inseparable ever since, even attending the same college-- only, their relationship hasn't exactly been the happily ever after Belly had hoped it would be. And when Jeremiah makes the worst mistake a boy can make, Belly is forced to question what she thought was true love. Does she really have a future with Jeremiah? Has she ever gotten over Conrad? It's time for Belly to decide, once and for all, who has her heart forever.

MY OPINION: *****

I loved this final conclusion! It ended so well and gave this series a sense of finality that readers could definitely enjoy!

Belly seemed so much more independent, determined, and mature, although her confusion about the Fisher guys was still there and as strong as ever. I didn't like how she was so easily forgiving when she found out that... Jeremiah, her boyfriend, was CHEATING on her. I mean, he cheated on her with a girl and it was pretty serious. I can't believe Belly was even dating Jeremiah in the first place. I hated how she was so changed from the first two books. I would have expected her to have her life more sorted out, seeing as this is two years later and she's in college, so... 

Jeremiah. I didn't exactly hate him, but I also didn't exactly like him. His character was so annoying. Honestly, Jeremiah still seemed the same as before, and it was quite strange how similar he was. He never matured. He still drank, hung out with dudes that sucked, and was just immature throughout the book. He cheated on Belly, thinking that they were "broken up", which kind of means he never treated their relationship as real in my opinion, and then he tries to make it up to her by proposing to her. When they are in college. I don't necessarily think that their marriage is a spoiler, seeing as that was the WHOLE BOOK. I think that the fact that they are getting married at 18 and 19 is just strange and a bad influence on younger readers, but you know...

Conrad. LOVED LOVED LOVED HIM, just as much as before. I did hate how he NEVER LET HIS FEELINGS OUT UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE. Like, what is this?? I mean, he was so obviously in love with Belly but he kept hurting her and making her think otherwise, and why? Because he was trying to "protect" his brother?? I don't get it. But Conrad is definitely my favorite character. I LOVED how this book gave readers his POV. I feel as if books that generally focus on one character's perspective and then show another character's are my faves :D

I know I generally talk about more characters, but it's ok for now.

THE ENDING. One of my favorite endings, though it did seem a bit abrupt. I FELT THE PAIN of Conrad and I FELT THE PAIN of Jeremiah and it literally made me feel like crying and screaming! When Conrad confessed, it was the BEST SCENE EVER. I just loved it! SO. MUCH. It was just so SAD and HEARTFELT and EMOTIONAL and AMAZING. I don't know.

I hated how Jeremiah didn't end up with her for only one reason: I hated how he always felt second best to his brother in everything, and he only just wanted to be better just once. But I will forever ship Conrad and Belly.

I LOVED THE NICKNAMES. I loved how Conrad's was Con or Connie. Just so adorable. And Jeremiah was Jere... I just loved it.

I hated how in the most serious of times, such as when Conrad and Jeremiah were fighting, they called each other man. LIKE WHAT IS THIS??

Taylor x Jeremiah... :( IT NEVER HAPPENED
Taylor x Steven... :( IT ALSO NEVER HAPPENED

The author never gave Taylor a real conclusion. I wonder what happened to her..

I would recommend this book to YA readers or romance lovers.

Main Character: Belly
Sidekick(s): Conrad, Jeremiah, Steven, Mom, Dad, Susannah, etc
Villain(s): Love, confusion, misunderstanding, etc
Romance/Realistic Elements: This book featured a romantic relationship and was all real to life.

Comments