The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

City of Bones - Cassandra Clare - UPDATED VERSION

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Genre: YA Fantasy

Image result for city of bonesBlurb (on back of book)When Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder. Much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with odd markings. This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons — and keeping the odd werewolves and vampires in line. It's also her first meeting with gorgeous, golden-haired Jace. Within twenty-four hours, Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in an ordinary mundane like Clary? And how did she suddenly get the sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....

MY OPINION: *****

This is my second review of this book.

As you guys can see, this book is still a five-star book, mostly because it was AMAZING.

I have to admit that I didn't like this book as much as I enjoyed The Infernal Devices, but Cassandra Clare's books are always so good!

Character Write-Ups...

Clary. Clary was one of the few protagonists I actually liked. I rarely ever like the main character, as I've said many times, but Clary was definitely someone I liked. She was cool, fun to read about, determined, brave, and independent. She also had a sarcastic and fiery side that I enjoyed reading about, especially in a female character.

Jace. I liked Jace well enough, but my ratings of him definitely went down from the first time I read this book. Jace was strong and loved battle and killing demons. I used to enjoy reading about him, but now, rereading this book, I didn't really like him as much. His character seemed cliche and overused, and he was so rude, especially at the end. Jace reminded me of Will Herondale SO MUCH. He was just as rude, sarcastic, weird, cold, and in love as Will and their similarities really showed through while reading this book.

Simon. A mundane, but a strong one at that. Simon is this geeky, nerdy guy who is hopelessly in love with Clary. He is fostering the theory of unrequited love, and it was really obvious to everyone except for Clary. Simon was definitely brave and loyal, and he was a great character, though not my favorite. I feel as if Simon was supposed to be like "competition" for Clary x Jace, but no offense, I don't ever see it happening.

Valentine. He was a jerk. Because I've read most of this series already, I know what's going to happen, but his lies are so realistic!  That really isn't a spoiler, because it was kind of obvious he was lying... Also, although Valentine was evil, I feel as if Mortmain was a much crueler and evil antagonist. I'm sorry that I keep comparing these characters and books to The Infernal Devices, but I can't help it! Valentine's character is hard to understand.

Luke and Jocelyn. Luke's story in Part 3, I believe, was so sad! Luke was definitely one of the best and bravest character. He reminded me of Simon in a way, seeing as he was also suffering the pains of unrequited love, and stuck with just being the best friend of Jocelyn. So sad.

Isabelle. Definitely my favorite character. Isabelle was a strong female character who was brave, strong, and just perfect. I loved her! She was so interesting to read about! I know that she was "mean" or "rude" to Clary, but she did that because she didn't know how else to act! Isabelle was definitely the best!!

Alec. He seemed like a jerk, but his character was so complicated. What else could you expect from someone living with his type of problems? He was different, being gay, but in the Shadowhunter world, that's not something that is appreciated among people... Sad but true in this matter. So he is in love with Jace, but Clary steps into the scene, and Jace obviously is falling for her. It's kind of obvious that Alec should feel hurt that he's losing his love...

So much unrequited love in this book!

Hodge. Evil. It was so obvious! The quote on page 336,
"Hugo will find him..."
Wow... so incredibly obvious and Clary is such an idiot!!

So basically that's it for characters...

I loved this book so much! I didn't really enjoy the beginning as much. It seemed too straight-forward and everyone and everything was introduced way too quickly for my taste. The ending was also too blunt and ended too quickly.

The Mortal Cup was made out to be this big thing, but once everyone got it, does anyone feel like it was forgotten? A little? It wasn't a big deal as much anymore, until Valentine... SPOILER.

Anyways, so that's it for this review. I loved this book just as much as before! Read my previous review... here! I have to admit, that may be the worst book review ever, but still... THAT WAS A LONG TIME AGO :D

I would recommend this book to middle-schoolers and high-schoolers and romance and fantasy lovers.

Main Character: Clary
Sidekick(s): Jace, Simon, Isabelle, Alec, Luke, etc
Villain(s): Valentine, Hodge, demons, Downworlders, etc
Fantasy Elements: This book features unreal characters, places, creatures, etc.

Comments