The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

City of Ashes - Cassandra Clare - UPDATED VERSION

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Genre: YA Fantasy

Image result for city of ashesBlurb (on back of book): Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father.
To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?
In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation.

MY OPINION: ****

I mean, I liked it, ok?

But I know, I know... a five stars went down to a four stars. I know, that's disastrous!

Honestly though, I think the first time, I was a bit biased, because it was one of my first YA books that I actually liked so I really wanted to like the whole series. The first book was still good, but the second time reading this book was just... meh.

Not bad, not amazing. Meh.

Clary was just superficial and annoying and she seemed immature. She was also way too dependent on Jace throughout the book. I wish she was more independent and mature, but she wasn't. She was way too much of a coward and a scaredy-cat for my taste. That's just my opinion. But Clary was very loyal to her friends and family, I'll give her that.

Jace. I loved him but this representation of him seemed out of character. I mean, he's Jace. He should never be scared or betray anyone or be normal. He should be sarcastic and rude and funny. But he really wasn't as much. He reminds me of Keefe in the Keeper of the Lost Cities series. Jace was definitely brave and loyal, as well as a lot kinder.

Simon. He was annoying and nerdy, but he was also the same as before. I mean, he didn't change, besides from the fact that he became a vampire. Yeah, there's that, but as a personality look, he didn't change at all. I liked him for that fact.

Valentine was just as evil and cruel and warped as before. It was rather shocking at how cruel a man could really be. And the worst thing is: he thought he was right. He didn't even acknowledge his actions as evil. Sad but true.

I didn't really like this book as much as before, but it's a still a four stars because it was rather interesting and kept me reading, although it took me longer than normal. I disliked how Clary was so willing, like I said before, but I liked how the author acknowledged that characters and people change from time to time or from book to book.

The ending was weird. I didn't like it as much because...

Simon just gave up Clary and just wanted to be friends. Did he really love her in the first place or was it just a crush?

Clary lives with Luke instead of at the Institute, which kind of bothered me. I WANT HER TO COME BACK TO LIVE WITH JACE.

I want to know what happened with the Inquisitor and what she told Jace!

Yeah, so I know this was a short review, but I have to cut it short. SO BUSY.

I would recommend this book to YA fantasy and romance readers.

Main Character: Clary
Sidekick(s): Jace, Simon, Alec, Isabelle, Maia, Luke, etc
Villain(s): Valentine, demons, etc
Fantasy Elements: This book was all fanatic and had made up characters and places.

Comments