The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Everything, Everything - Nicola Yoon

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
Genre: YA Romance

Image result for everything everythingBlurb (on back of book): My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.
But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.
Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

MY OPINION: *****

BEST BOOK EVER. BEST BOOK EVER.

I loved this book SO MUCH. I read it in 2 days, which is a feat for me because it is a long book! I loved it so much, though, that I couldn't put it down.

It was a gift to me and I was so excited to read it. But I had to read all of the forced reads first before I got around to this book.

I can't believe I didn't read it sooner. I think that this is definitely my favorite book of the month, along with A List of Cages. Honestly, if you are going for romance, this is an amazing book.

SPOILER ALERT

I have to talk about that ending. OMG. OMG. OMG. I am in a daze right now. I just finished the book about 10 minutes ago and am still recovering. The whole entire book was a red herring. I can't believe it. I didn't see it coming AT ALL. She isn't sick! She isn't sick! I can't believe it. Her whole life was a lie made by her mother, who just wanted to keep her daughter safe after a tragic accident that left Maddy's father and brother dead. Her mother just wanted to have a daughter who would always be with her.

I loved this book so incredibly much. It had a lot of quirky drawings, lists, ideas, and other things about Maddy that REALLY helped you to see more of her character and personality than with most other characters in books. The author made this book very real and personal to both readers and the other characters, which is so unlike other books that this book rose to the top.

Maddy was an incredible character. I mean, I generally hate main characters. They always tend to annoy me or I disagree with them, etc. But Maddy was definitely an amazing protagonist that readers love to learn about, and also to be with her along her amazing journey. Maddy was brave, determined, and willing to do anything for love. Maddy is also smart. She knows what she wants, who she loves, where she wants to go. She is someone who does EVERYTHING in order to get where she wants or who she wants, even if it means potentially risking her life, and also her mother's.

Olly. He was an incredible guy who definitely would have made me experience HAR (check page 78 for full definition, so relatable). He was also brave, strong, courageous, gorgeous, and just someone who really cared about other people (his mom, Maddy, Kara, etc). Lately, books seem to be featuring abuse in their plotlines and this book was no stranger. Olly loves his dad, I believe, but he would rather be away from him and keep the rest of his family safe.

Carla. She struck me as the type of woman who is supposed to be doing her job, but is too kind and always gives in. She was incredibly nice to Maddy. I really thought that she was someone who was like a second mother to Maddy, rather than a nurse. It's funny, though. Carla was a woman who was there for a job, but ended up becoming so much more to Maddy.

I have to say, I disliked Maddy's mother. Maddy's mother needed to learn that one day, no matter how sick she is, Maddy was going to grow apart from her and leave her. Just because Maddy cancels a mother-daughter night when she is eighteen, doesn't mean that there is something wrong with her. Maddy was going to grow up someday, no matter what. A parent can't keep a child under their wing forever, no matter how hard you try. I understood Maddy's mother, but her intentions somewhat irritated me.

I can't believe that the movie is coming out this May. I can't wait to see it, seeing as how much I loved this book. I hope that it lives up to my expectations :)

This book is so unlike other books that I have read that it is most likely something I will be rereading this year, if not in the next two or three months. This is a book that I will always treasure. Also, I plan to read The Sun is Also a Star, a newer book by the same author, pretty soon. So stay tuned for that!

I know this was a rather short review, but I am going to stop now and just think some more about it. Who knows? Maybe I'll update in the future.

I would recommend this book for YA readers who love romance, love, and just an amazing read.

Main Character: Maddy
Sidekick(s): Olly, Carla, mother, etc
Villain(s): Not being free, being lied to, being betrayed, etc
Romance Elements: This book features a romantic relationship.

****Sorry for any mistakes. I typed this all rather fast :)****


Comments

  1. I'm so glad you liked this book. It never caught my eye until I saw the movie trailer and then I was really intrigued. I'm glad the book lived up to the hype. I'll have to try and pick it up before I see the movie. Love a good YA romance!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment