The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Time Between Us - Tamara Ireland Stone

Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction with a Twist
Image result for time after time book
Blurb (on back of book)Anna and Bennett were never supposed to meet: she lives in 1995 Chicago and he lives in 2012 San Francisco. But Bennett has the unique ability to travel through time and space, which brings him into Anna’s life, and with him a new world of adventure and possibility.
As their relationship deepens, the two face the reality that time may knock Bennett back to where he belongs, even as a devastating crisis throws everything they believe into question. Against a ticking clock, Anna and Bennett are forced to ask themselves how far they can push the bounds of fate, what consequences they can bear in order to stay together, and whether their love can stand the test of time.Fresh, exciting, and deeply romantic, Time Between Us is a stunning, spellbinding debut from an extraordinary new voice in YA fiction.

MY OPINION: *****

I loved this book so much!

Before I go on, I just want to say, I have a new goal: 11 books. I also want to read a certain number of books in a genre by late January or early February. So my monthly goal is 11 months, and my other goal is 5 Nonfiction, 5 Biography, 5 Memoir, 25 Fantasy, and 25 Contemporary, and 10 Middle-Grade. I might have modified it a bit from Goodreads: not sure!

OK, back to the book!

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE <3

I think that this book had an amazing idea and plot. I liked how the story went smoothly, and it kept me interested. I think that I may like this book even more than Every Last Word, if that is even possible! I have to say, some parts of it sort of confused me, but by the end, most of it got sorted out.

I plan to read Time After Time, but for now, I just have to rant about this book.

OK, the ending.

SPOILER ALERT

The ending was one of the few parts I didn't enjoy as much. I have to say it: in books like these, I hate happy endings. I KNOW, how can that be??? But I have to say, I always expect to have a really sad ending when I read a story.

I WANT TO FIND A BOOK TO MAKE ME CRY. I don't know why, but I really do want to. Please comment below on what you would recommend.

OK, the fact that Bennett comes back was very obvious. I was really sad that it wasn't a much bigger fight or something, but I like that Bennett ends up with Anna in this book. It wasn't as interesting than if he had had to really fight or almost die or something, but I think that it was a great way to conclude.

Bennett's disappearance in time in the first place was predictable, but it still left me sad and nervous. I kind of knew in the back of my head that he would be coming back, but that was about it: I had no idea when, and I really thought that it had to happen in the next book.

The whole time-travel thing sort of confused me. I know that it makes perfect sense to some people, but to others, like me, it really didn't click all the way.

I get that he can go back in time and he can go into the future (well, Anna's future and his present), and I get that he can take someone else somewhere else. But what I don't get is what happened to the other hims and the other Annas? I mean, they have to still be alive, but stuck in a one second dimension??? Or do they really just disappear? Completely. As if it never happened.

Doesn't that mean that there are a trillion+ Anna's and Bennett's all stuck in time??? How scary is that?

Anna is a great character, but the thing I didn't really like about her was that she disagreed with literally everything I was thinking while reading. But she is really brave and strong and very sentimental and sweet, and she is my kind of a girl. Bennett is definitely my favorite character, (so handsome and nice) and I also love Emma! Lastly, one of my favorite scenes was when Justin was spilling his story to Anna. I feel bad that she kind of messed up his love life in a way, but I am also happy everyone was healthy. I kept thinking that they were eventually just going to get into a different car accident and time would beat Anna and Bennett, but nope.

I love love love this book. It was a much different book from what I normally read. I usually read fantasy, but this time, I took a little turn. I am now reading The Fault in Our Stars, and I am planning to buy Time After Time tomorrow to complete my Tamara Ireland Stone set. SHOUTOUT TO TAMARA!

I would recommend this book to someone who likes to read about time travel, or romance, or just have a great adventure alongside two great book characters.

Main Character: Anna
Sidekick(s): Bennett, Emma, Justin, Mom, Dad, Danielle, etc
Villain(s): Time
Realistic with a Twist Elements: All of this could happen in real life, except for the time travel thing.

UPDATE!!!

OK, so I just met Tamara Ireland Stone today, and she was an amazing author and person to meet! I got signed books (YAY), and I am so happy, so I just want to say, everyone please comment below and give a shoutout to the author!!!!!!!

Comments