The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Time After Time - Tamara Ireland Stone

Time After Time by Tamara Ireland Stone
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction with a Twist

Image result for time after time bookBlurb (on back of book): Calling Anna and Bennett's romance long-distance is an understatement: she's from 1995 Chicago and he's a time traveler from 2012 San Francisco. The two never should have met, but they did. They fell in love, even though they knew they shouldn't. And they found a way to stay together, against all odds.
It's not a perfect arrangement, though, with Bennett unable to stay in the past for more than brief periods and skipping out on big chunks of his own present to be with Anna in hers. They are each confident that they'll find a way to make things work...until Bennett witnesses an event he should never have seen (and certainly never expected to). Will the decisions he makes from that point on cement a future that neither Anna nor Bennett wants?

MY OPINION: *****

Before I start with the normal rant, I just want to say, I met Tamara Ireland Stone in person last week, and she was really nice and an amazing person! I have to say that I really enjoy reading her books and they are so good!

OK, on with the real review!

I think that one of the messages of this book is that love can stand the test of time. DEFINITELY A DOUBLE MEANING :) I really like that I made that up :)

I think that a lot of people really expected the ending from a long way off, but it didn't matter too much since it was still an amazing piece of writing. I think that it was really easy to predict, but it was still written very well...

OK, Anna struck me as a much weaker character in this book. I hate to criticize an amazing author, since I am not YET one, but I have to say, I feel like Anna ended up breaking into pieces a lot more in this book, I have to admit: that is definitely me...but I never expected that in a book character. Then again, I do like that it gives me something to relate to with Anna.

Bennett was so great as a character in this book. I think that Bennett's POV wasn't as amazing as Anna's, but I think that Bennett really matured.

Some parts of this book still confused me, especially the matter of time travel. Again, what happens to the other Anna's, Bennett's, or any other peoples???? I don't know, maybe it was explained at some points in the book that I somehow missed, but I don't know...

Please comment below if you know what I am confused on, and can help me sort it out!

OK, SPOILER ALERT

The ending. When Bennett went up to 2005 and saw Anna with another guy, it was obviously future him. But when he went back the second time, it was confirmed and I was so happy. 

Very happy ending. I feel like it was a little bit shallow, and it was missing a few key points. I really want to know what happens afterwards!!!! I can't do this anymore. Fanfiction, here we go!

Anyways, like I said, I feel like happy endings don't leave me satisfied, because sadder endings always somehow keep me more interested. I think that the fact that they ended up together, after reading the whole book, I feel as if I expected more difficulty in their endings...

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! Now, I am officially done with all of the criticism for this book (so sorry), and here come the showers of compliments!

I feel like the book was really well drawn and had a great plot! Not too many plot twists, but that was good because I feel like plot twists are so predictable. I feel like this book was really great at some points and really brought out certain emotions at certain parts. I started crying-ish, laughing, yelling, and even stopped reading for a while.

Hey guys, I got my book signed!!! I can't show you now, but definitely on iRandom at some time in life...

Justin is now my new favorite character. I feel like he deserved more of an ending. I mean, what happened to him, and Emma, and him and Emma together???? I want to know, but I don't think that I ever will. Oh well, I will just have to fantasize.

When Anna's dad had his "accident" (no spoilers), I literally almost cried. I felt so bad for her for some random reason. But I have only ever cried in one book when I was five, and I hope I can find some more of those tear-jerking books (yes, I do have a heart, I just don't have a book to bring it out as much :) JK).

I think that the fact that Anna was a great runner also made me super happy and I was so glad to hear that she continued to run. I, for one, am a terrible runner (10 minute mile person), and I feel like this book was really inspirational and helpful for me. In a way.

OK, I wish I could talk more, but duty calls, so please comment below, and follow me!!! Thanks! Oh yeah, I would recommend this book to romance lovers!

PS Whatever happened to Megan and Sam???

Main Character: Bennett
Sidekick(s): Anna, Justin, Emma, Sam, Megan
Villain(s): Time
Realistic Fiction with a Twist Elements: All of this could happen except for the time-traveling element.

Comments