The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction/Romance

Image result for the fault in our starsBlurb (on back of book): Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely written.
Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning-author John Green's most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.

MY OPINION: *****

How can anyone not give this tale a five-stars?

I know: I have not read a John Green book yet until this week. Isn't that so crazy? I mean, he is John Green! Then again, I haven't read any James Patterson. I just don't read popular authors, I guess...

Anyways, I have seen the movie adaptation to this book, and I really enjoyed watching it. It was so sad, but it was also just plain beautiful. AMAZING.

I think that this book had a really nice idea and plot to it. It had a great idea and a lot of realistic elements that really added to the story. John Green is an amazing writer, and I hope to read more of his work in the near future.

Hazel has cancer, and she is relatively okay with it, if that is possible when you have a terminal disease. Hazel knows she is going to die, but she has her reasons to stay alive (family, etc). But one day she meets Gus, a handsome, funny, annoying, charismatic guy who changes her whole life.

SPOILER ALERT

I have to admit: at some points, this book kind of, I don't know, maybe, scared me. And as much as I hate to admit it, I was literally scared to read this book at some parts, especially when Gus got the infection. I hate reading about sickness, but I just had to read this book; too many people said it was good. Besides, it struck me as a book that everyone has to read.

I hated when Gus died. I knew it was coming, having seen the film, but why? Why couldn't there have been a happy ending? But I know why: it is because this book features cancer, and cancer always comes back. Not that it always kills you, but it will always be in the back of your head. Besides, happy endings don't make the best books. I mean, I think that everyone loves a happy ending, right? I mean, how could you not? But I think that when you have a sadder ending, or one that doesn't end well for every single character, it creates a very realistic world. Let's face it, guys. Not everyone in this world gets a happy ending. Some do, but most don't. Not to be depressing, but I like how this book has a sense of reality with it, even though it is fictional.

Who else did not like Peter Van Houten? I hated him for a while, but at the end, I sort of started to feel bad for him. It made me so sad when Hazel shunned him, but I think that if I were her, I would've done the same thing. I mean, he was a terrible man, alcoholic, but I felt really bad for him all the same. Then again, he made me so angry at times. I don't really know if I liked him or not, but if I had to choose a side, I would say I did not like him. Not that his character wasn't drawn up well, but I hated his personality, especially if he were real.

Isaac. Amazing Isaac. I felt so bad for him and Monica. How could she have done such a thing to him? Just abandoning him. I feel as if at that part, John Green did a AIA thing, and just cut off her story just like Peter Van Houten. Was that intentional? Was Monica the minor, the hamster?

I really felt bad for Isaac. I mean, he ended up blind, but the good thing is, he didn't die.

What I am really glad about in this book is Hazel didn't die. Yet. I don't classify this as a spoiler, but only because I think that if Hazel had died, everyone would know it anyways, so why not reverse psychology, since Hazel didn't die?

Did that even make sense?

I think that Hazel struck me as the kind of person who sees the good, the bad, and the ugly in everything. Gus had this wisdom about him that let him see beyond the text of something, or behind someone's facade. The fact that they are together made me so happy: two geniuses together. How sweet is that?

And yes, I count Hazel and Gus as geniuses in their own ways. I think that both of them are really smart, though it may not seem like it. They both catch things that most people leave alone, which made me look at both Gus and Hazel differently.

Now, before I end this post, I have two more things to say.

First, does anyone else love Gus's nickname for Hazel (Hazel Grace)? And yes, I do know that Grace is her middle name and that he did not make it up.

Second, what happens to the parents? Overprotective as they are, they are sweet people who care a lot about their kids. What about Isaac's parents, or Gus's parents, or Hazel's parents? I know they are grown-ups, but who takes care of them?

PS AIA stands for An Imperial Affliction and you should only get it if you have read the book.

I would recommend this book to all book lovers, romance lovers, and YA lovers.

Main Character: Hazel
Sidekick(s): Gus, Isaac, parents, etc
Villain(s): Cancer, death, etc
Realistic Fiction/Romance Elements: All of this was very real to life. Also, this book concerns an amazing romantic relationship.


Comments