The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

The Reason I Jump - Naoki Higashida

The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida
Genre: Autobiography?/Nonfiction

Image result for the reason I jumpBlurb (on back of book): Written by Naoki Higashida, a very smart, very self-aware thirteen-year-old bow with autism, The Reason I Jump is a one-of-a-kind book that demonstrates how an autistic mind thinks, feels, perceives, and responds in ways few of us could imagine. parents and family members who never thought they could get inside the head of their autistic loved one at last have a way to break through to the curious, subtle, and complex life within. Naoki answers even the most delicate questions that people want to ask. Questions such as: "Why do people with autism talk so loudly and weirdly? "Why don't you make eye contact when you are talking?" and "What's the reason you jump?" With disarming honesty and a generous heart, Naoki shares his unique point of view on not only autism but life itself. His insights are so startling, so strange, and so powerful that you will never look at the world the same way again.

MY OPINION: *****

Let me be honest: it took me a while to finish this book.

I would always pick it up, read like three questions, and then put it back down. But one day I decided that I was just going to do it: I was going to actually read the book.

I loved it! It truly amazed me that a boy with autism could write such an insightful book, and have the talents to persevere. This book really helped me to understand how autistic people look at the world.

I have always been sympathetic to people who have autism, or some other form of disability. I would volunteer to help them out, and I would try my best. But I never really understood them until I read this book, although I really thought I did.

This book was truly just wonderful. I think that it really helped to open my eyes to the world of autism. I wanted to read this book because I have grown to love eye-opening books about this or that. It sort of reminded of me of Out of My Mind (see review in archives on right) or Wonder (see review in archives on right) in a non-fiction-y sort of way. Despite not being in a novel or chapter format, this book had me intrigued just as much as the two books I have already mentioned above.

I really liked reading this. I especially liked all of the stories that Naoki Higashida wrote, especially the one about Shun. That one almost made me cry for some reason. It made me feel really sad and sympathetic, and I also felt a little nostalgic (is that the word?) while reading it.

The illustrations in this book were completely wonderful.

I liked the fact that Naoki kept going back to nature in this book. Mother Nature is a cure for anything! Just believe in yourself and in nature, and you will feel much better as a whole!

I would recommend this book to all people who like to read insightful stories and books. It really helps to read a book like this!

Main Character: Naoki
Sidekick(s): Nature
Villain(s): Autism?
Nonfiction/Autobiography Elements: All of this is true. It is about someone in real life and has true aspects.

PS I made this a short review because I am afraid that with all of my long reviews on three different blogs, you guys will get very overwhelmed and skimp off of reading some stuff, and that makes me really sad :( I hope you guys keep on reading! Thanks so much!

Comments