The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

The Crown - Kiera Cass

The Crown by Kiera Cass
Genre: YA Romance/Fantasy

Image result for The Crown Kiera Cass
Blurb (on back of book): When Eadlyn became the first princess of Illea to hold her own Selection, she didn't think she would fall in love with any of her thirty-five suitors. She spent the first few weeks of the competition counting down the days until she could send them all home/ But as events at the palace force Eadlyn even further into the spotlight, she realizes that she might not be content remaining alone.
Eadlyn still isn't sure she'll find the fairy-tale ending her parents did twenty years ago. But sometimes the heart has a way of surprising you...and soon Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more impossible—and more important—than she ever imagined.

MY OPINION: *****

It's so hard to write a review on the last book of a long series because of many spoilers. I will try to refrain the spoilers, but let me just tell you now: there will be a LOT of spoilers in this post.

Also, I would like to say thank you to my 300 page viewers and readers for today alone! Thanks so much!

Anyways...

OK, so this book was mildly predictable. I am just going to say this: I knew she was being scammed, I knew who she was going to end up with, and I knew she would have a happily ever after. Otherwise, there would be no story.

OK, Eadlyn is an amazing girl. She is kind and beautiful, and has her fair share of strengths and weaknesses. Her people don't like her for many reasons: most of all because they think that she isn't fit to be queen and that she is distant.

Eadlyn is not distant! I can completely understand her, because I am just like her. I like to be quiet and calm, instead of sharing private details about my life to the whole world! Also, just because Eadlyn doesn't share every single little thing that happens doesn't mean that she should be hated by her people. She is perfectly fine to be a queen and she is an amazing one at that.

Also, I feel like the people were prejudiced. To be more specific, they were sexist. This is the first time they have ever had a female queen, and I think that that is a real contributing factor into why the people don't like her, and I really don't think that that is fair.

OK, now onto the spoilers!

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Marid betrays Eadlyn. I think that that was actually really obvious. I mean, given the long history that the Illea's and the Schreave's have, there is no other reason for Marid to be there except to steal the crown. I am so proud of Eadlyn for fighting him and controlling her own life, unlike some girls. This shows that Eadlyn is an independent and amazing girl already!

Also, Eadlyn doesn't marry Kile. I WAS SO STRICKEN when that happened! I mean, they are a match made in heaven! Eadlyn just has too good of a heart. SHE LET HIM GO TO HELP HIM! I felt like crying when I read that scene. 

Eadlyn marries Eikko (or Eric). I TOTALLY CALLED THAT. I think everyone did, after her rejection to Kile, because who else can she marry? Henri can't speak English, so how would they ever communicate?

HERE IS WHAT MADE ME SO SAD:

When Henri tells Eadlyn to leave him in his broken English. THAT WAS THE SADDEST SCENE EVER!!!!!!!!! He just broke his own heart to have the girl he loved marry his TRANSLATOR. And he said it all in BROKEN ENGLISH! It was just so sad!

Come on, who else cried at that scene?

This book was just amazing. I personally liked the first three books about America better than Eadlyn's story, but I think that that is only because I read America's story first. I know that it is in a specific order, but I always wonder, if I had read Eadlyn's story first, would I have been more attached?

I plan to read Happily Ever After/all of the Selection novellas ASAP.

I would recommend this book to all romance and YA readers.

Main Character: Eadlyn
Sidekick(s): Josie, The Selected, America, Maxon, EIKKO
Villain(s): Marid
Romance/Fantasy Elements: Romantic relationships. Unreal characters and settings.

PS: I will not talk about the election. So please don't comment about it.
PPS: PLEASE COMMENT AND FOLLOW!!!!!!!!!
PPPS: THANKS SO MUCH FOR HELPING ME REACH 1000+ views. My new goal is 1500 the end of this month. WE CAN DO IT!

Comments