The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Under the Never Sky - Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
Genre: YA Dystopian/Fantasy

Image result for under the never skyBlurb (on back of book): Since she'd been on the Outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered.
This was worse.
Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the Outer Wasteland—known as The Death Shop—are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild—a savage—and her only hope of staying alive.
A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile—everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.
In her enthralling debut, Veronica Rossi sends readers on an unforgettable adventure set in a world that's harsh but often beautiful.

MY OPINION: *****

So I actually finished this a while ago, but things have been busy, so this is very late posting :) Sorry!

Anyways, this book was so ORIGINAL. I don't know what other word I can say about it. It's plot was very different from any book you've ever read. It has unique characters, elements, and settings. It's hard to explain unless you read it, and I definitely think you should. It was an incredible literary adventure that can set your mind spinning.

I have no idea whether or not this book is confusing. It is confusing at times, and crystal clear at others. The plotline is a little bit foggy, but is mostly cleared up by the time you finish.

I don't know if this is a spoiler or not, but I think it is pretty obvious anyways. Perry and Aria. IN LOVE. Don't you think that all these new YA debuts form the most unlikely relationships, romantic and friendly?

Anyways, my favorite character is Roar, Perry's best friend. He is skillful, brave, strong, handsome, and just an amazing character through and through, and is very lovable. I think that Roar is just someone that you can't help but like, although I wish he would end up with Aria. I know he has Liv, but Roar and Aria are like the perfect couple! Although Perry is there too...hmm, I'll have to think about it. But I do ship Roar and Aria, though that ship has sunk years ago. :( NOOOOO

Anyways, moving on.

OK, I have to talk about Talon. He is such an adorable little kid, who you can really relate to. I literally felt like he was right there with me, reading along. SCARY but so AMAZING.

By the way, I don't know if you guys already know this, but AMAZING is obviously my favorite word :) Sorry, just had to put that in.

OK, Cinder is another character who I can't live without, and I'm pretty sure the same goes for Perry and Aria and Roar. I mean, with his special talent, which I WILL NOT SPOIL, he saves their lives! I think that this is so cool, although I can tell why he hates his "TALENT" or "CURSE".

Lastly, Vale is just such an interesting character. He is sadly killed off, but he is actually really an input to help the story.

I am reading the second book now, and am almost done. Should be blogging on that soon. I am also reading The Heir and it is AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING! Definitely one of my favorite books! I SERIOUSLY NEED TO BUY MYSELF THE WHOLE SET!!!!

I would recommend Under the Never Sky to all teen YA readers, who like a little violence mixed with spices of romance :)

Main Character(s): Perry and Aria
Sidekick(s): Roar, Bliss, Brooke, Talon, Vale, Cinder, etc
Villain(s): Aether, etc
Dystopian/Fantasy Elements: Set in realistic places, though most likely in future with fake elements. Unreal characters. unreal elements.

Comments