The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

To All the Boys I've Loved Before - Jenny Han

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
Image result for to all the boys i've loved before
Genre: YA Romance/Realistic Fiction

Blurb (on back of book): Lara Jean keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her.
They aren't love letters that anyone else wrote for her, these are ones she's written. One for every boy she's ever loved—five in all. When she writes, she can pour out her heart and soul and say all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly Lara Jean's love life goes from imaginary to out of control.

MY OPINION: *****

If I could give this book more than five stars, I definitely would. But I have a permanent scale that I use that I promised myself I would not change. Just know that this book would be about seven stars instead.

Anyways, this blurb didn't really explain much of the plotline. It only explained the cause, not the effect. Basically, after her letters are mailed out, one goes to her sister's boyfriend, and that causes a lot of problems. Lara Jean saves her face by going out with one of the popular boys who also got a letter. These two boys are the only really important boys who got a letter from Lara Jean accidentally. 

I LOVED THIS BOOK. It had amazing characters, and an amazing plotline. I liked how Jenny Han describes important things in the book using shorter sentences to improve excitement and suspicion. 

Mildly inappropriate, but nothing that a mature reader can't handle. Bad language and inappropriate behavior rumors, but nothing bad actually happens at all. Some rumors are spread, but Lara Jean deals with it fairly well :)

This book was predictable to me. I know that for me a lot of books are predictable, and that is strange. Anyways, I knew how it was going to end, etc.

SPOILER ALERT

Kitty sent the letters out. I totally called that! Also, I think that the ending was really easy to figure out without looking at the last page :)

It's hard to understand this book at some points. Apparently, Lara Jean has never had a "love life", but I personally think that that is her fault. I think that Josh is a good match with her because he is older than her, not younger. I personally think that they also have good compatibility together, and he would do better with Lara Jean than with Margot.

By the way, does anyone else think "mar-goT" when they see the name, not "mar-go"?

Anyways, going back to the subject. Lara Jean is at fault in my opinion, because she is too scared to approach people, especially boys, and also has a problem with choosing people she can never "get". I think that if she took the time to get to know someone else, and have them get to know her, she could have a very expansive love life, and amazing chemistry.

I really want to read the rest of the series, but I can't find it anywhere to just borrow. All of the libraries don't have it, so I think I'm just going to order the book.

I would recommend this book to all mature romance and realistic fiction readers, who like to read long and very interesting novels ;)

Main Character: Lara Jean Song
Sidekick(s): Margot Song, Kitty Song, Josh Sanderson, Peter Kavinsky, Chris, etc
Villain(s): Anger, misunderstandings, saving face, etc
Romance/Realistic Fiction Elements: VERY romantic relationships and lots of romantic interests. All of this could happen in real life though it most likely never will.  

Comments