The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

The Selection - Kiera Cass

The Selection by Kiera Cass
Genre: YA Romance/Fantasy

Image result for the selectionBlurb (on back of book): For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime.
The opportunity to be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning back on her secret love for Aspen, who is a caste below her, and leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she begins to realize that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

MY OPINION: *****

Before I start my usual rants and CAPS and exclamation points, I think that I should make myself clear: I finished this book a few days ago, and I have already finished the second book. I will be reviewing the second book tomorrow or Friday, depending on what my schedule allows.

Anyways...

I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH!

It definitely made my list of Top 100 books, though maybe not the Top 5. It might have made the Top 10, though, and that is really rare for me.

America is a great character, though her fickleness is seriously starting to get to me. It is making me so annoyed every once in a while, with her fickleness between Aspen and Maxon. I mean, I get it. She is confused about her feelings, but every time she makes a final decision, she changes it the next day, due to some action of one of the boys. I, personally, would choose Maxon (comment below on who you would choose), and it's not because he is a prince. It's because he is just so much better than Aspen. He's kinder, more emotional, more helpful, and, let's face it, handsomer :)

Aspen ditched her! I mean, I know that he made up for it later on, but still! He let her go, and didn't even care about how she was feeling. And then he just shows up later on and goes "oh, well, I'm sorry for ditching you, but I am back!..." Um, what?

That made me so annoyed with Aspen, who thought he could just waltz back in to America's life and try to take her away from THE PRINCE! I mean, he is a prince. Not that it matters, but she just learned to start to love him, but then Aspen literally ruins EVERYTHING! *Tears*

Anyways, I promised myself that I would not use too many exclamation points in this post, and I am really trying. But sometimes it is just a necessity of life. :)

Marlee is such a sweet, young girl who really is a lovable person. (HOW I WISH I COULD GO AHEAD AND SPOIL THE NEXT BOOK) *CRIES* Anyways, Marlee is amazing. I love her, and she is definitely one of my favorite characters.

My overall favorite character in this book is Maxon. TOTALLY :)

Maxon is so trustworthy and amazing, and it is impossible not to like him.

Oh yeah, there are Lucy, Anne, and Mary, the maids. I love them! So sweet and ordinary, and they are just like how I imagine maids to act like. They even call America "miss" *omg*. :)

Lastly, I forgot about Celeste. She is a dominant and powerful girl who tries her best to take control of Maxon, and win his love. She is kind of annoying, in a way, but all books have to have that one girl who everyone hates, but can do nothing about. Celeste definitely fits that profile.

The rebel attacks in this book are very detailed, perhaps too detailed. There is not too much bloodshed, and it is very appropriate for kids and teens.

Sorry to cut this short, but I have a ton of other things to do, and it's getting late. I will rant a lot more on my next post on The Elite. As always, please comment! Overall, I think that this book was amazing and I would recommend it to anyone who likes romance and fantasy.

Main Character: America Singer
Sidekick(s): Maxon, Aspen, Marlee, Lucy, Anne, Mary
Villain(s): Rebels, social status, Celeste
Romance/Fantasy Elements: America has very romantic relationships with Maxon and Aspen. This happens in the future, and there are unreal events and unreal characters. Also, there are unreal places, though this can happen, though 99.999% it will not.

Comments