The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Genre: YA Fantasy/Romance

Image result for breaking dawnBlurb (on back of book): When you loved the one who was killing you, it left you no options. How could you run, how could you fight, when doing so would hurt that beloved one? If your life was all you had to give, how could you not give it? If it was someone you truly loved?
To be irrevocably in love with a vampire is both fantasy and nightmare woven into a dangerously heightened reality for Bella Swan. Pulled in one direction by her intense passion for Edward Cullen, and in another by her profound connection to werewolf Jacob Black, she has endured a tumultuous year of temptation, loss and strife to reach the ultimate turning point. Her imminent choice to either join the dark but seductive world of immortals or pursue a fully human life has become the thread from which the fate of two tribes hangs.
Now that Bella has made her decision, a startling chain of unprecedented events is about to unfold with potentially devastating and unfathomable consequences. Just when the frayed strands of Bella's life—first discovered in Twilight, then scattered and torn in New Moon and Eclipse—seem ready to heal and knit together, could they be destroyed...forever?
The astonishing, breathlessly anticipated conclusion to the Twilight Saga, Breaking Dawn illuminates the secrets and mysteries of this spellbinding romantic epic that has entranced millions.

MY OPINION: *****

YES!!!! I am done with the series, and the last book was AMAZING!

That is definitely one of the longest blurbs ever! But it is missing a few key elements in the story, though I have no idea how that can be possible. Anyways, I don't know if these count as spoilers, but I am just going to strikethrough them anyways, just in case.

#1. Bella finally becomes a vampire.

This seems obvious, because I don't think anyone doubted that this is what it was all going to come down to: Bella becoming immortal. The way that this happens is not at all expected though, which is leading up to...

#2. Bella becomes a mother.

Bella gives birth to a half-human, half-vampire daughter named Renesmee. Since the baby is part-vampire when Bella is still human, Renesmee almost kills Bella in her pregnancy and labor, but Bella is injected with vampire venom right before she is about to die. She is then turned into a vampire. 

#3. The Volturi come.

I think everyone knew that this one was coming, given all of the hints in the three previous books. Also, if you have seen any of the films, it is also considered pretty obvious.

Before I start actually writing, I am going to say one more spoiler that killed me.

THIS BOOK HAD NO EPIC BATTLE SCENE!

Even in the movie, they had a "fake" battle scene, in which Alice shows Aro what would happen if they did fight. But this book had nothing. The Volturi basically just left and never came back, as far as we know of. I cannot believe that this happened. I know that this is a good thing, but still: I expected there to be a big nice battle scene in which at least someone is going to die, no offense. I WANTED IT!

Ok, now I can talk without spoilers.

Bella plays her role as best as she ever has in this book. Amazing character with real emotions and real feelings. She is brave, determined, strong, and hopelessly in love. She also has a new child which takes up some of her love also. Bella is a strong character that you can empathize with, and also make readers sit on the edge of their seats in danger.

FINALLY!!!! We get to see Jacob's point of view in this book!!!!

I know some people don't like character POV changes in later books of a series, but I love them, especially in this one. I do not know if I have already said this in one of my earlier reviews of the Twilight Saga, but Jacob is my favorite character. You can't really ask me why, because I don't know why he is number one on my list. He is strong, brave, determined, handsome :), and most of all, loyal. Ironically, he is part "dog". :) ALSO, JACOB FINALLY IMPRINTS!!!!

Before I say any more, let me just say to all the Bella fans, I love Bella, but I never tend to like the protagonists as my favorite character. Sorry, but I feel so sad for the less main characters, though I know Jacob is one of the big characters.

Edward is an amazing vampire also, and he is strong and brave more than ever. I don't even know how to explain his character, so I won't attempt.

NEW CHARACTER:

Renesmee Cullen. Edward and Bella's daughter. She is a jewel. She is gifted, a fast learner, and grows really quickly. Renesmee is a smart vampire/human baby who isn't like other children, because of the vampire in her. Renesmee is an amazing character, and she has real feelings.

Lastly there are so many vampires in this book. Because of the "fight" scene (or the should-have-been fight), many new vampires are introduced. Most of them are amazing people, but there are too many for me to write about. In the back of the book, there is an index of all the vampires in the series, which was extremely helpful to me. Also, I have to give a shoutout to Emmett Cullen! He is my favorite vampire in the series. Again, I don't really know why, so don't ask :)

Overall, I loved this book! Sorry for all of the CAPS, but I am so happy to have finally finished, although I wish it didn't have to end. I don't even know if that makes sense, but that is just how I feel. Next time, I promise that I will be a lot calmer. :) I would recommend this book to all teens and all romance/fantasy fanatics. :)

Thanks for reading! Please comment and read, read, read!

Main Character: Bella Swan-Cullen
Sidekick(s): Edward Cullen, Jacob Black, Alice Cullen, Jasper Hale, Rosalie Hale, Carlisle Cullen, Esme Cullen, Emmett Cullen, Renesmee, new recruits, werewolves, etc
Villain(s): Volturi, etc
Fantasy/Romance Elements: Unreal creatures, unreal settings, etc. Bella and Edward have a romantic relationship (obviously), along with other couples.

Comments