The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Fracture Me - Taherah Mafi

Fracture Me by Taherah Mafi
Genre: YA Dystopian

Amazon.com: Fracture Me (Shatter Me Book 2) eBook: Mafi, Tahereh ...Blurb (on back of book): In this electrifying sixty-page companion novella to the New York Times bestselling Shatter Me series, discover the fate of the Omega Point rebels as they go up against The Reestablishment. Set during and soon after the final moments of Unravel Me, Fracture Me is told from Adam's perspective.
As Omega Point prepares to launch an all-out assault on The Reestablishment soldiers stationed in Sector 45, Adam's focus couldn't be further from the upcoming battle. He's reeling from his breakup with Juliette, scared for his best friend's life, and as concerned as ever for his brother James's safety. And just as Adam begins to wonder if this life is really for him, the alarms sound. It's time for war.
On the battlefield, it seems like the odds are in their favor—but taking down Warner, Adam's newly discovered half brother, won't be that easy. The Reestablishment can't tolerate a rebellion, and they'll do anything to crush the resistance . . . including killing everyone Adam has ever cared about.
Fracture Me sets the stage for Ignite Me, the explosive finale in Tahereh Mafi's epic dystopian series. It's a novella not to be missed by fans who crave action-packed stories with tantalizing romance like Divergent by Veronica Roth, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, and Legend by Marie Lu.

MY OPINION: ***

I never read the Shatter Me novellas before and I'm starting to realize why.

The old me was an Adam girl up until the third book. I know for a fact that I loved Adam and didn't see the appeal of Warner. The better version of me right now is completely against Adam.

I was reluctant to read this novella because I quite frankly don't find this series that enjoyable as I once did. However, since I had already read Warner's, I figured I should just give Adam a chance. Plus, it was about 70 pages and I finished it in less than an hour.

Adam is definitely not my favorite character. I was hoping that in this novella, we would see how misunderstood or broken or flawed he was like we saw in Warner's novella. However, we didn't see any of that and just saw the same boring, annoying Adam that we saw in the staple novels of the series.

Adam is dumb. His entire character is ignorant about everything. I've seen people refer to him as a moron and I can't agree with that statement more. He doesn't believe in the rebels at Omega Point and their cause and thinks that it will never work. You can just leave if you want. Nobody asked you to be here. Jesus.

He's arrogant. He thinks that just because he's Adam, he can get with Juliette and be the man she loves, even though she has pushed him away and said no. He thinks he's strong and brave and thinks so unbelievably highly of himself that I was laughing at times. He thinks that Juliette is a weak little girl who can't do anything for herself. He believes that he needs to protect her and be with her at all times. He doesn't think she is capable of fighting and thinks she's stupid when in fact, the only stupid one here is Adam.

The best thing about Adam was his love for his younger brother, James. You can't fault him for not wanting to protect his little brother and I actually felt the pain he went through SPOILER when he thought James had died END SPOILER However, the way he acted after James was safe towards Juliette was disgusting and fully sealed my hate for Adam.

The biggest thing I got out of this novella was that I have a newfound respect for Kenji. Even when Adam didn't seem to want to protect the girl he supposedly loves, Kenji was there for her. I love Kenji and I have high expectations for him in the next book.

I would recommend this novella to readers looking for a deeper look into Adam's character. However, keep in mind that Warner's novella was ten times better.

Main Character: Adam
Sidekick(s): Kenji, James, Juliette, etc
Villain(s): Arrogance, stupidity, Re-establishment, etc
Dystopian Elements: This book was set in a futuristic world.

Comments