The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

The Kissing Booth - Beth Reekles

The Kissing Booth by Beth Reekles
Genre: YA Contemporary

Image result for the kissing booth bookBlurb (on back of book): Meet Rochelle Evans: pretty, popular--and never been kissed. Meet Noah Flynn: badass, volatile--and a total player. And also Elle's best friend's older brother... 
When Elle decides to run a kissing booth for the school's Spring Carnival, she locks lips with Noah and her life is turned upside down. Her head says to keep away, but her heart wants to draw closer--this romance seems far from a fairy tale and headed for heartbreak. 
But will Elle get her happily ever after?

MY OPINION: **

This is a very short, very cute read that doesn't take too much brainpower or time. To be completely honest, I loved the movie a lot better than the book. I found the book a lot less interesting and the movie a lot more perfect.

The book kept on going. There were times when I thought it would end and then it would keep on coming. The characters annoyed me, I actually felt really bad for Lee, and there was no chemistry between Noah and Elle. This is a Wattpad story (or it was at some point) but there was none of the cheesy love in it that I expected. I've read better Wattpad stories that haven't been published and I was disappointed.

Noah was annoying. This is the weirdest thing because I always find the guy characters the best because you know, they're the guy characters. But Noah is SO irritating. I didn't find his love for violence endearing. It wasn't like he was fighting for Elle. It was more like he was fighting for himself which is selfish and not admirable. In Wattpad books, I feel like the guys are always so swoonworthy but this guy was not! I felt no endearment to this boy and that disappointed me because Jacob Elordi is a sweetheart.

The whole time, I was disappointed in Elle. There was none of the fun, weird, quirky girl that the movie made Elle out to be. Joey King was ten times better at the role haha. Elle was boring and she had no personality and she spent a lot of the time being really indecisive and stupid about her own feelings. And I did not ship her with Noah at all.

Lee was SO cute. I don't love Lee the most in the movie, mainly because I find him slightly unreasonable, but in here, he was definitely my favorite character. He wasn't a horrible best friend like he is in the movie and he seemed supportive to a point. I found myself laughing at the things he said. Only the things he said.

I was overall disappointed with how this turned out. I love me a good Wattpad story any day but this wasn't my favorite and I have so many other Wattpad stories that are so much better. I would recommend this book to readers looking for a short romance!

Main Character: Elle
Sidekick(s): Noah, Lee, etc
Villain(s): Love, secrets, misunderstandings, etc
Contemporary Elements: This was a contemporary novel set in modern times.

Comments