The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins - UPDATED REVIEW

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
Image result for lola and the boy next doorGenre: YA Realistic Fiction

Blurb (on back of book): Lola Nolan is a budding costume designer, and for her, the more outrageous, sparkly, and fun the outfit, the better. And everything is pretty perfect in her life (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood. When Cricket, a gifted inventor, steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door. 

MY OPINION: ****

*short review! REALLY BEHIND SCHEDULE*

I think I LOVED this book the first time I read it, almost better than AatFF. However, this time around, I believe that nothing is ever as good as the original. I did love it as per usual but I don't think it was phenomenal as I once thought it was.

If you are ever looking for a cliche, fluffy, quick, cute, adorable romance novel, this series is for you. As for me, I'm always looking for those so obviously I love these books.

I just found Lola SO unlikeable. She had SO many problems and her entire personality just felt like it was clashing with mine the entire time I read the book. She likes to wear elaborate outfits and she pairs things together that are different from any other person basically ever. I can't say I liked her style but I admired her ability to wear it without any shame. Some of her outfits sounded a little questionable but I mean, you do you! However, she was so picky, fickle, and strong-willed. One moment it would be like I LOVE MAX HE IS THE BEST THING EVER and then by the end she's like, "I don't know what I ever saw in him." Uh, nobody knew.

Cricket was cute but nobody can beat out the cuteness of St. Clair! I loved his character (Cricket) but his story was a little sad. I felt bad that he was always being pushed aside by his family so they can focus on his star twin sister who was honestly very unlikeable and unmanageable. Cricket was just... cute haha. I mean, that's really how they always describe him. I liked his pinstripe pants. And some of the things he said were, while cliche, swoonworthy. 

Calliope made me want to hit somebody. You can't just expect somebody that you've been mean to basically your whole life to do something for you when YOU need it. That's not how life works. I shake my head at Lola for her lack of self-will. She should have said no. I don't care what Calliope is feeling. That's her karma.

Nathan and Andy were really annoying parents, especially Nathan. I hate overprotective people, I hate unreasonable people, I hate stern people, exactly like them. Also, if they hate Max so much, they should have just gotten rid of him. 

The whole age gap thing also triggered me because you know, we don't support. I get that it's love but in the end, IT WASN'T. So I mean, was it worth it? 

Also, Max was just a jerk in general. She tried to apologize to him and he said the cruelest thing he could have said. That's just rude.

Lola and Cricket also had an age gap but it wasn't as large or noticeable.

I would recommend this book to readers looking for a cutesy romance novel! Sorry for the bad review.

Main Character: Lola
Sidekick(s): Cricket, etc
Villain(s): Max (he really is), Calliope, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book was all very real to life.

Comments