The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Smile - Raina Telgemeier

Smile by Raina Telgemeier
Genre: MG Graphic Novel

Image result for smile bookBlurb (on back of book)Raina just wants to be a normal sixth grader. But one night after Girl Scouts she trips and falls, severely injuring her two front teeth, and what follows is a long and frustrating journey with on-again, off-again braces, surgery, embarrassing headgear, and even a retainer with fake teeth attached. And on top of all that, there’s still more to deal with: a major earthquake, boy confusion, and friends who turn out to be not so friendly. This coming-of-age true story is sure to resonate with anyone who has ever been in middle school, and especially those who have ever had a bit of their own dental drama.

MY OPINION: ****

It's a very enjoyable quick read. I loved how the story wasn't just focused on her teeth but instead went into a lot of the other parts of her middle school experience. I don't really remember sixth and seventh grade as much as I used to but I'm sure it's probably very relatable.

I read this as a safety net to reach my GR goal for 2018. However, the last time I read it was two years ago so it was different rereading it again. I noticed different things and understood more about it than I did before, mostly because I've lived through some of Raina's experiences going through middle school.

I wish high school was honestly like how it is in the books but this book did a great job of showing that it really isn't. It was fun seeing how Raina moved on from her bad friends and made new friends who had similar interests and were nicer to her. It's important to have good friends in middle and high school and I liked how it showed that realization that even if you have been friends with somebody for a long time, people change and you won't always like the new version of them.

I loved all the guy trouble because I found it hilarious. Sean was adorable and I shipped them, though nothing ever really came of it. And Sammy was also cute but I personally will say that when I was in seventh grade, I would never have thought of dating a SIXTH grader. HAHA.

Overall, this book is short, hilarious, and realistic. I would recommend it to readers looking for a short graphic novel about the trials and tribulations of being a teenager.

Main Character: Raina
Sidekick(s): Family, friends, etc
Villain(s): Growing up, adolescence, teeth, etc
Graphic Novel Elements: This book was formatted as a graphic novel.

Comments