The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

My Favorite Books of 2018

We're going to do a shorter and more realistic list this year. For the past couple of years, I literally added like every single book I read but this year, we're going to do the ones that really meant a lot to me. This still will be quite an extensive list but it will shorter and more honest this year.

So basically five- or six-star books only!

2018 was a tougher year for me book-wise because there weren't a lot of books that I was really too interested in reading. Nothing HUGE came out that I deemed worthwhile to read. I tried to get through my ever-growing to-read list but that's not happening any time soon. I reread a ton of books, which I'm going to try to do a little less of for 2019.

Last year, I linked all of the titles to the Goodreads page and this year I'm going to do the same but also link it to my review, which is going to take a lot longer but I'm going to get through it!

This is going in order from when I read it, not from favorite to least favorite or vice versa.

I never thought this day would come but here ya go:

MY YEAR IN READING 2018

***************************

ROMANCE (because we always have to start here)

Rules of Attraction - ***** (this is the second book in the Perfect Chemistry series)
my review

North of Beautiful - *****
my review

How to Ruin a Summer Vacation - ***** (also read the rest of the series bc they're all good!)
my review

Wild Cards - *****
my review

The Lovely Reckless - ****** (my first six-star book of this year!)
my review

The Only Thing Worse Than Me is You - ******
my review

If I Was Your Girl - *****
my review

The Sea of Tranquility - ****** (definitely need to reread this)
my review

Not Now, Not Ever - *****
my review

Summer of Supernovas - *****
my review

How to Keep Rolling After a Fall - ******
my review

The Dangerous Art of Blending In - ******
my review

To All the Boys I've Loved Before - ****** (also go watch the movie on Netflix! and read the rest)
my review

The Summer I Turned Pretty - ****** (I actually read this series twice this year!)
my review

Me Before You - *****
my review

Just One Day - *****
my review

Alex, Approximately - *****
my review

What If It's Us - ****** (I LOVE THIS BOOK AND THE COLLAB!)
my review


REALISTIC FICTION

A List of Cages - ****** (literally one of my favorite books ever)
my review

Thirteen Reasons Why - *****
my review

Lucky Few - *****
my review

The Memory Book - ******
my review

If There's No Tomorrow - ***** (beautifully written; could also be in the romance category)
my review


FANTASY

Throne of Glass - *****
my review

The Edge of Everything - *****
my review

White Hot Kiss - ***** (an amazing fantasy romance series by one of my favorite authors!)
my review

Onyx - ***** (this is the second book in the series but it was my favorite one)
my review

Lodestar - ***** (this is the fifth book in the famous Keeper of the Lost Cities series but it was the first one that I read this year as a reread)
my review

Lady Midnight - *****
my review

Keeper of the Lost Cities: Flashback - *****
my review


CLASSICS

To Kill a Mockingbird - *****
my review

Emily's Quest - ******
my review


HISTORICAL FICTION

Yellow Crocus - *****
my review


NONFICTION

Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul - *****
my review


POETRY (I mean, why not have a whole section despite the fact that the list is miniscule?)

Solo - *****
my review

*********************************************

I read 125 books in 2018 and these are my favorite! They were really hard to choose and I know it looks like a lot but trust me, I read a LOT more than these. I hope you enjoyed and please recommend books for 2019!

Comments