The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Obsidian - Jennifer L Armentrout

Obsidian by Jennifer L Armentrout
Image result for obsidian bookGenre: YA Fantasy

Blurb (on back of book): Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring… until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something… unexpected happens. 
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 
If I don’t kill him first, that is.

MY OPINION: ****

Every time I read another book from JLA, I think I become more and more of a fan. Her books never fail to keep me up late at night and I can't stop reading them!

PLOT: It was complicated and yet simple at the same time, something that I loved. I think that there was more to it than meets the eye and I was interested in finding out how everything fit together and unraveling everything to find all of the pieces.

CHARACTERS:
Where do we even start? I generally start with the protagonist but let's change things up.

DAEMON. He's the cliche hot boy who's snarky, sarcastic, and rude. A complete "dickhead" in Katy's eyes. Oh, and did I also mention that he's an alien? You heard me, he's a hot alien. Only instead of being a little three-eyed green dude obsessed with the "claw" he's a figure of legit LIGHT who came from another planet far far far far away. I liked Daemon. I mean, who couldn't? Yes, I'm always going to be TEAM ROTH but Daemon's up there too.

Katy. She sometimes annoyed me for inexplicable reasons. I didn't know what to think about her. She claims one things but secretly thinks another, especially about Daemon. I think there could have been more character development and I may have thought something different about her but nevertheless, here we are.

Dee was such a happy person who really brightened everything dark in this book. I think that I would like to know somebody like her but alas, the Dees of this world have not bumped into me yet. I pitied her because all she ever wanted was a friend who wouldn't judge her for what she is.

Ash. She definitely got on my nerves. I mean, her obsession with Daemon was like having a sick obsession with your sibling. *shudder* Hopefully by the next couple of books, she changes for the better or at least does something to redeem herself.

ROMANCE:
Well, there was a LOT of tension between Daemon and Katy. And I mean a lot. We don't get any real action until fairly late in the book, but JLA comes through with her make-out/kissing scenes, making readers want more and more. I would have loved to have seen these from Daemon's POV but alas, we only got a couple of the other scenes.

ENDING:
I didn't like how it ended. Yes, I get that it's the first book and that there's more to come but it all felt very abrupt. The major conflict of the book ended just like that in about 10 pages or so. Also, I felt as if the description was lacking because while I could imagine all of the rest of the book, I couldn't visualize any of the culminating scenes. Also, the last page was so unsatisfying!

WRITING: I loved the simplicity of the writing that made readers laugh, cry, scream, and burn for more. It felt very different from her White Hot Kiss writing for some reason which I loved. This isn't JLA's fault but there were LOTS of typos and it honestly just annoyed me.

It felt very Twilight-like but better.

I would recommend this book to readers looking for a YA Fantasy romance!

Main Character: Katy
Sidekick(s): Daemon, Dee, etc
Villain(s): Arum, etc
Fantasy Elements: This book was based on fanatic themes.

Comments