The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Finale - Becca Fitzpatrick

Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick
Genre: YA Fantasy

Image result for finale bookBlurb (on back of book): Will love conquer all?
Nora and Patch thought their troubles were behind them. Hank is gone and they should be able to put his ugly vendetta to rest. But in Hank's absence, Nora has become the unwitting head of the Nephilim and must finish what Hank began. Which ultimately means destroying the fallen angels - destroying Patch.
Nora will never let that happen, so she and Patch make a plan: lead everyone to believe they have broken up, and work the system from the inside. Nora will convince the Nephilim that they are making a mistake in fighting the fallen angels, and Patch will find out everything he can from the opposing side. They will end this war before it can even begin.
But the best-laid plans often go awry. Nora is put through the paces in her new role and finds herself drawn to an addictive power she never anticipated.
As the battle lines are drawn, Nora and Patch must confront the differences that have always been between them and either choose to ignore them or let them destroy the love they have always fought for.

MY OPINION: ***

I finished the Hush, Hush series. I DID IT. I am so unbelievably happy with myself. I finished this series. 

This was a well-written closure to the series, in my opinion. It gave most of the characters some image of closure and we weren't left with too many questions. 

PACING
The book was too slow-paced from start to middle. At times, there were parts that I just wanted to skip and I think I still would have been fine. I'm happy that it sped up by the end, but by the final ending, it felt way too fast-paced. The whole book was over in like eight pages and I felt that a book this long deserved a longer ending. I mean, I just read through four books with these characters and it ended that quickly?

CHARACTERS
Nora. Oh, Nora. At this point, I've given hoping for your maturity to come. You still make really stupid decisions, you're oblivious to really obvious things, and you're jealous of your boyfriend's ex. Key word: EX. How can you be physically and mentally able to lead the Nephilim army? I did like how she relied on her friends and boyfriend because it showed a good message of teamwork. I am happy that she did learn how to fight back well enough to defend herself, though she did get addicted to a DEVILCRAFT DRUG and ended up LYING TO HER BOYFRIEND who forgave her way too easily.

PATCH. I am very undecided on how I feel about Patch. On the one hand, he's a dreamboat committed to protecting his girlfriend. On the other hand, he seems like a dreamboat and let's not forget his past mistakes in the previous books. Thankfully, Patch managed to be relatively perfect in this book except for the fact where he gets sent to hell and then somehow manages to come back and everything is all la di da again.

PLOT
At times, I was really confused as to what was going on because there were SO many characters that betray whoever and help whoever and I didn't know what was going on points. The plot was a bit topsy-turvy but there were some really good aspects to it. 

ENDING
I did like the ending despite it being so short. Patch being able to FEEL was definitely something that I couldn't help but love because now he could feel his girlfriend as she could feel him. Scott dying was so depressing and I couldn't believe that his life ended that quickly after all these books. However, I guess somebody had to die in the last book amirite? Just did it have to be Scott? AND VEE BEING NEPHILIM. I kind of got that when she said she had secrets but I didn't really know about it when it was finally revealed. Vee marries this guy named Gavin and chooses to hide the fact that she's immortal...

Overall, this was a nicely-done conclusion to the series. I'm glad that it's over and I'm glad that it ended mostly well. Honestly, if there was another book, I'm not sure if I would read it. I would recommend this book to readers looking for a fantasy romance paranormal series.

Main Character: Nora
Sidekick(s): Patch, Vee, Scott, etc
Villain(s): Rebels, traitors, fallen angels, etc
Fantasy Elements: This book was all fantasy.

Comments