The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Solo - Kwame Alexander

Solo by Kwame Alexander
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction
See the source image
Blurb (on back of book): When the heart gets lost, let the music find you.
Blade never asked for a life of the rich and famous. In fact, he’d give anything not to be the son of Rutherford Morrison, a washed-up rock star and drug addict with delusions of a comeback. Or to no longer be part of a family known most for lost potential, failure, and tragedy. The one true light is his girlfriend, Chapel, but her parents have forbidden their relationship, assuming—like many—that Blade will become just like his father.
In reality, the only thing Blade has in common with Rutherford is the music that lives inside them. But not even the songs that flow through Blade’s soul are enough when he’s faced with two unimaginable realities: the threat of losing Chapel forever, and the revelation of a long-held family secret, one that leaves him questioning everything he thought was true. All that remains is a letter and a ticket to Ghana—both of which could bring Blade the freedom and love he’s been searching for, or leave him feeling even more adrift.\

MY OPINION: *****

This was such a powerful and evocative book and the way it was written... it was so emotional and inspirational and I really am glad that I've gotten a chance to read this book.

I originally had this at a four stars but then I thought about my rating... What made it a four instead of a five? I thought long and hard about it and I realized that there was nothing that really made it bad. The book was incredible and why shouldn't it deserve a five stars? I've been trying my best to give honest and lower ratings because I always give books five stars that maybe don't deserve that much love. But when I reconsidered this book, I think that this was a deserving story that needs more love.

Solo is a book written in prose. Is that what you call it? I don't know, but it's in a poetry format. I really like that idea. I used to HATE books written in this format; I even boycotted all of them and thinking back, I realize that I had no real reason other than the fact that I didn't consider them "real books". This is a controversial topic for many but I have switched sides and believe that books written in this format is definitely a real book.

I love this format because of a variety of reasons. I feel as if it got the feelings that the author wanted to convey to the reader across very well and in a few short words, rather than long (and boring) blocky paragraphs. I also like how it was quicker to read and made it easier for younger readers -- my sister read this book (she is two years younger than me) and understood it fairly easily, though there were parts that confused her. I also love how this style of writing made readers actually have to think; what does the author mean when he says this? Is this an example of symbolistic elements? What are we supposed to feel when we read this? (Gosh, I sound like an English teacher now).

Anyways, enough about the style. I just want to talk about the book.

The characters in this book were visceral and real. I thought that the way that they were shaped and the way that I imagined them made them seem like they were sitting right next to me.

Blade was someone who had a lot but he didn't realize what he had. He had a sister, a girlfriend, a house, a maid, and a father, who maybe made some mistakes sometime but didn't deserve the bashing that Blade gave him constantly. As the story progresses, Blade realizes that he should be thankful for what he has. He speaks in a language that is sometimes hard to understand.

Chapel annoyed me with her constant texting and her clinginess. WHEN SHE AND BLADE BROKE UP, I WAS JUST LIKE "PRAISE THE LORD" She seemed like one of those girls who really only cares about herself and her own feelings and not her boyfriend.

Storm was a great character who I thought was supportive and empathetic to her brother, though sometimes I understood how she needed to vent to someone and Blade wasn't always there.

The way the mom died was so depressing. I was just like "um that's so sad" and it hit hard. The way Sia died was depressing too. Who knew this book was going to be so depressing?

I would recommend this book to readers who are looking for something shorter, but also vital to your library and emotionally impactful.

Main Character: Blade
Sidekick(s): Joy, Storm, Rutherford, etc
Villain(s): Death, drugs, alcohol, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book was very real to life.

Comments

  1. Yes, yes, yes, this was a very depressing and emotional book, and for all the people who hasn't read this book out their, I'm sorry, but this is a spoiler: I CAN'T BELIEVE SIA DIED! And the mom, but Sia. Sia. SIA?! Honestly, though, I think the mom's death was more depressing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment