The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Autumn Falls - Bella Thorne

Autumn Falls by Bella Thorne
Image result for autumn fallsGenre: YA Fiction

Blurb (on back of book): New friends, new enemies . . . can a magical journal change Autumn's crazy life?
With her fiery red hair, new-girl outsider status, and tendency to be a total klutz, Autumn Falls definitely isn’t flying below the radar at Aventura High. Luckily, she makes some genuine friends who take her under their wing. But she also manages to get on the wrong side of the school’s queen bee, and then finds out the guy she’s started to like, funny and sweet Sean, hangs with the mean crowd. Now her rep and her potential love life are at stake. 
When Autumn vents her feelings in a journal that belonged to her late father, suddenly her wildest wishes start coming true. Is it coincidence? Or can writing in the journal solve all her problems? And if the journal doesn’t work that way,  is there a bigger purpose for it—and for her?
Filled with personal elements from Bella’s own life, AUTUMN FALLS is the first book in Bella Thorne’s new series! It has everything readers will love and relate to: a real girl trying to find her own inner strength and be the best she can be, with a hint of magic and mystery, and a steady stream of OMG-I-can’t-believe-that-just-happened fun.

MY OPINION: ***

Before I start, I wanna make a couple of announcements. I'm going to try to keep it as short as possible :D

Firstly, I am thinking about doing the 52-book reading challenge for 2018. Yes, I do know it's late and I should have started a while ago but seeing as it's still January, I'm sure I can catch up. Besides, I'm also planning to read other books on the side since I still want to reach 125 but I thought it would be fun to have some sort of guide as to what to read next.

Second, I'm thinking about starting a rant blog. iRant?? I already mentioned this on iRandom, which is something you should also check out... I was thinking about having a place just to share feelings and rant about annoying things or places or habits to you guys and then in the comments, you can rant along with me... I don't know. It's not fully planned out yet.

Third, I have a bookISH Pinterest, and the reason why it's bookISH is because I have boards for books and fandoms and also boards on cats and funny things and actors and stuff... Anyways, go follow me there and I'll be sure to follow you back!!

Last, I was thinking about starting a page on iRead where you can get some recommendations for books. I could start a whole separate website or keep it connected to iRead, which I think would be a lot easier. I can update it whenever I need to and it'll be divided by genre, etc. Comment what you think.

ANYWAYS, let's get ON with the book review!

Autumn Falls. A friend of mine read it a couple of years ago and told me it was "okay" and that I should try it out. It's been on my reading list for a LONG time but then I saw it again popping up on some website and I was like "Why not?" I was shocked to realize that it was by actress Bella Thorne (I'm smart) because about 2 years ago, I had no idea who she was since I was so out of sync with pop culture...

I tried it out and it was okay. There were things about it that considerably lowered my grade. First, let's talk about its predictability. If you fool around with wishes, something is bound to go wrong. Also, guy gets girl GREAT. It was a little cliche and the characters seemed a little... shallow. I don't know...

And then there was the writing. It was detailed and almost-sophisticated but I thought it was weak and that it was kind of trying too hard. I don't think Bella Thorne's strongest suit is writing, though I do LOVE her acting.

I can't say I was pleased with this book. I did like it better than some but I thought it was kind of a knockoff... Anyways, I just want to say that I love Bella Thorne and I actually appreciate her courage and bravery to publish a piece of written work despite the fact that she struggles with dyslexia. It's very brave of her.

I would recommend this book to people who are looking for a lighter read.

Main Character: Autumn
Sidekick(s): Amalita, JJ, Jack, Jenna, etc
Villain(s): Reenzie, etc
Fiction Elements: This book was entirely fictional.

Comments