The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Gossip Girl - Cecily Von Ziegesar

Gossip Girl by Cecily Von Ziegesar
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction

Image result for book gossip girlBlurb (on back of book)Welcome to New York City’s Upper East Side, where my friends and I live, go to school, play, and sleep—sometimes with each other.
S is back from boarding school, and if we aren’t careful, she’s going to win over our teachers, wear that dress we couldn’t fit into, steal our boyfriends’ hearts, and basically ruin our lives in a major way. I’ll be watching closely...
You know you love me,
gossip girl

MY OPINION: **

This book.

Okay, so I didn't love it but hey, I read it, so that must mean I didn't hate it. It was mediocre. Most of it was really boring and at some points, the book was tedious and rambling. A lot of it was confusing and a lot of it was inappropro. 

First who was Gossip Girl? Was that something I was supposed to figure out? Because I didn't. I thought it was Blair but I don't know. It was confusing and weird and I hated how she used letters because it made me have to think about who she was talking about.

Okay, I thought Serena was a MAJOR popular girl but when I read from her point of view, she seemed like a loner and friendless and I didn't really understand. 

Blair was really annoying and she was bulimic, right? Guys, be happy with who you are. There is no need to make yourself literally sick to "look" skinnier. Trust me, it's not worth it. I'm REALLY skinny and I literally cannot fit into ANYTHING cute.

Nate was a serious jerk and a player who I really disliked.

Jenny was a strange character. I didn't really understand her role in the story because she seemed to be in the way and just an extra most of the time.

Chuck was SO rude and I hated him. He was really aggressive and horrible and I hate that there are people like him out in the world.

Dan was sweet but I didn't like his immediate affection for Serena. It made him seem shallow and that he only cared about looks.

Vanessa was a jerk in my opinion but you know... I didn't really think too much of her and at some points, I forgot she existed.

Overall, I really did not like this book. The writing was meh and the characters seemed fake. Also, a lot of it was confusing. However, the TV show looks a LOT better and I may watch Episode One to see how I like it.

I would recommend this to people who are looking for a really short read and want something to pass the time.

Main Character: Blair, Serena, Nate, Dan, Vanessa, Jenny, etc
Sidekick(s): All of them
Villain(s): Life, people, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: All of this was very real to life.

Comments