The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Wrong About the Guy - Claire LaZebnik

Wrong About the Guy by Claire LaZebnik
Genre: YA Contemporary

Image result for wrong about the guyBlurb (on back of book)Ellie Withers is definitely not spoiled… so she wishes that George Nussbaum would stop implying that she is. It’s not her fault that her stepfather became a TV star and now they live in a big house and people fawn over her wherever she goes. She doesn’t even like being fawned over. Fortunately, her two closest friends understand her a lot better than George: Heather Smith loved her before she even knew who Ellie’s stepfather was, and handsome Aaron Marquand has a father who’s just as famous.
With Aaron back in town and very much in her life, Ellie feels like things are just fine…or would be if her mother hadn’t hired George to tutor her. George has a habit of making Ellie feel a little less sure of herself, a little less on top of the world, a little less right about everything. Why does he always make her feel like she could be a better person than she is?
When Ellie’s plans for her family, her friends, and even her love life don’t turn out the way she imagined, she begins to wonder if maybe she could stand to learn a thing or two after all…and whether it’s possible—or even likely—that the perfect person to teach her is the last person she’d expected.

MY OPINION: *****

So this book was meh at first and then OOH by the end. I loved it.

Anyways, this book was about a girl named Ellie; honestly, I completely forgot that was her name until someone said it, which was pretty rare.

Ellie is the stepdaughter of a TV star and she's used to people trying to be her friend just for the sake of saying that they met her stepdad, etc. But her two best friends are home and she feels pretty good.

She is in her senior year and she's ready to apply to colleges. She has one college in mind, though she could have made it into an Ivy League college. She has a tutor, George, who I basically adored from the start. Except for his name. Honestly, I don't have anything against the name George but there is someone at my school with the name George that I can't stand and when I read about a character named George, my mental image of that character is that kid at school. :\

So basically, I loved the ending. The ending was really beautiful and romantic and amazing. But the beginning and about the first half of the middle was either very rushed or very slow...

What I didn't like about this book was the fact that Ellie was so self-centered and spoiled. I completely agree with George! However, by the end, I loved how she managed to change her personality a little and wasn't so conceited and ANNOYING.

I first loved Aaron but by the end, I started to despise him and I was so bored by him. He was more spoiled than Ellie, and I completely agreed with George's opinion of him. And what the heck was up with having an affair with your STEPMOM?

I loved Jacob. They made it seem like being autistic or possible autistic was a horrible thing but it really isn't. Being unique is a good thing, but I love how by the end everyone learned to just accept it and realized that jacob was really a mini genius.

I love this author and I am so excited to read more from her. I am so sorry for such a horrible review but I honestly have no time and this is one of those quickies. As always, comment and follow and check out my WORDPRESS blog.

I would recommend this book to Jane Austen and contemporary lovers!

Main Character: Ellie
Sidekick(s): George, etc
Villain(s): Things going wrong, etc
Contemporary Elements: This book was all real to life and quirky.

Comments