The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

City of Lost Souls - Cassandra Clare

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
Genre: YA Fantasy

Image result for city of lost soulsBlurb (on back of book): The New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments continues—and so do the thrills and danger for Jace, Clary, and Simon.
What price is too high to pay, even for love? When Jace and Clary meet again, Clary is horrified to discover that the demon Lilith’s magic has bound her beloved Jace together with her evil brother Sebastian, and that Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is out to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other. As Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle wheedle and bargain with Seelies, demons, and the merciless Iron Sisters to try to save Jace, Clary plays a dangerous game of her own. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost?
Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

MY OPINION: *****

WOW. I am so glad I finished that book!

That took me FOREVER, but it was definitely worth it. I thoroughly enjoyed every part of it...

I was so tempted to say "Updated" in the title, but then I realized that I have never actually finished this book, and so, therefore, I have never done a review.

I loved this book a lot more than the previous ones, for some reason. This gives me hope for City of Heavenly Fire, the sixth and last book, for which I am awaiting anxiously to arrive at my library. I cannot wait to read it and see how everything plays out with the characters and how it all finally concludes after about... almost 3000 pages? PLUS I read The Infernal Devices series, which was about/almost 1500 pages... And then I am going to read her prequel series to her prequel series, which is supposed to have three books, so maybe another 1000-1500 pages?? HOW MUCH AM I SUPPOSED TO READ?

I think of this world as a place to get trapped in and stay in for like three months, until I finally emerge. And then I have to go and reread. :D

OK let's talk about the book...

This book featured Clary running off to Europe to join a different Jace and her evil brother, Sebastian, on their strange, demented mission to basically start a war and burn down the world. The only contact that she has with her real world is these fairy rings that communicate with the other wearer, Simon.

The others all have lots of big adventures and this whole story is definitely put into place but is still a whirlwind of events. I liked how this book never missed any action and made readers get bored.

Clary was definitely more independent in this book, as well as strong and brave. She was still just as rash and reckless as she always was, but she got through her problems by using her brain and her strength, which I enjoyed reading about.

We don't really get much of Jace in this book... I mean, the real Jace. He is trapped in a demonic bond with Sebastian that makes him a completely different person and more of a servant to SEBASTIAN. What we do get is just like usual, hilarious and sarcastic.

Sebastian (or Jonathan) is now established as the new villain after Valentine's death a while back. I was so confused about what I was going to read about after Valentine died, but of course, there has to be a son who wants to be as evil and wicked as his father, if not more so.

AMATIS. NOOO. ARE YOU EVER GOING TO BE THE SAME PERSON AGAIN?

MAGNUS X ALEC DIED. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. SOMEONE, PLEASE TELL ME HE AND ALEC GET BACK TOGETHER IN THE LAST BOOK PLEASE PLEASE I NEED THEM TO BE MALEC IT IS PERFECT. But it is Alec's fault.

Y'all should know that I LOVE spoilers, so feel free to spoil away in the comments!!

Jocelyn is still that same overprotective mom that she is featured as in the earlier novels. I wish that she was more of the nice friendly type who doesn't really mind her daughter's boyfriend... But I can see why seeing as she has had her share of bad luck with her boyfriend/husband...

DO LUKE AND JOCELYN FINALLY GET MARRIED IN THE NEXT BOOK? PLEASE TELL ME THEY WILL!!!

Ok, I will stop ranting now :D Thanks for reading!

I would recommend this book to YA readers who love fantasy, romance, and action all packed into 500+ page books!

Main Character: Clary
Sidekick(s): Simon, the REAL Jace, Isabelle, Alec, Jocelyn, Luke, Maia, Jordan, etc
Villain(s): Sebastian, Lilith, demons, etc
Fantasy Elements: This book had fanatical creatures, characters, and places.

PS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SPOIL IN THE COMMENTS!! Also, Like and Follow!

Comments