The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Burn For Burn - Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian

Image result for burn for burnBurn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction/Drama

Blurb (on back of book)Postcard-perfect Jar Island is home to charming tourist shops, pristine beaches, amazing oceanfront homes—and three girls secretly plotting revenge.
KAT is sick and tired of being bullied by her former best friend.
LILLIA has always looked out for her little sister, so when she discovers that one of her guy friends has been secretly hooking up with her, she’s going to put a stop to it.
MARY is perpetually haunted by a traumatic event from years past, and the boy who’s responsible has yet to get what’s coming to him.
None of the girls can act on their revenge fantasies alone without being suspected. But together…anything is possible.
With an alliance in place, there will be no more “I wish I’d said…” or “If I could go back and do things differently...” These girls will show Jar Island that revenge is a dish best enjoyed together.

MY OPINION: ****

So this review is WAY late, since I finished this book two days ago, I believe. But it's been a busy week/weekend. On Friday, I was a little under the weather and was busy with stuff, and yesterday I volunteered for the ACS for 12 hours, so it has been way too hard to find time to write this. But it is here, finally, so please read on!

So this is one of the first books I've read in a long time that wasn't a romance. Sure, there were people dating in it, and crushes, but the main topic of the book was not romance at all.

Kat. Her character didn't really make sense for a while until I read more into the book and into her. She was dumped by her best friend for someone that she brought into the picture in the first place. She lived an angry life, and it seemed as if she was rather friendless. People didn't really like her. No offense, I wouldn't really like her if she was a real life person, which is sad. She was too gross and angry and annoying. Sorry.

Lilia. She was popular and too many guys liked her. I felt bad for her when she was all confused and scared, especially at homecoming. Lilia was definitely determined and I hate to say it, she wasn't loyal. At all. Well, she was loyal to Mary and Kat, but not to her original friends. And I don't blame her. They were literally evil.

Mary. She was the "new girl" or the "old girl" that everyone forgot about. Her story was depressing and shocking and just... wow. I felt so bad for her. She was so bullied and I'm glad she ended up still alive, if only to live to get revenge.

Reeve. Evil bully and I just don't get why the bullies and the mean people are always the popular people in books. In real life, it isn't really like that as much, especially at my school. So...

Rennie. I felt bad for her. She honestly wasn't that bad, considering her hard life and just wanting to be cool and popular. She was "poor" but she didn't let that stop her ever. I thought that was pretty cool.

Alex. HE WAS HURT FOR A MISUNDERSTANDING. What is this? He was so innocent and good and he shouldn't have been the target. Ever. He didn't do anything wrong. I loved him. Definitely my favorite character.

Yeah, so that's all the characters.

The revenge. The ways that the girls did it was honestly harsh. Most of the time, I didn't feel as if the victims even deserved it. Sure, Reeve was a big jerk, but was it really that realistic to drug him to take him out of football and ultimately college? No. I just didn't like it at all.

Yeah, so that was my review. I do plan to finish this series since it ended at such a big cliffhanger, so stay tuned for that! I would recommend this book to YA readers who like a lot of drama and revenge.

Main Character(s): Lilia, Kat, Mary
Sidekick(s): Alex, Nadia, Rennie, etc
Villain(s): Reeve, etc
Realistic Fiction/Drama Elements: This was all very real to life and very dramatic and quite scary at times.

Comments