The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

The Distance Between Us - Kasie West

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction

Image result for the distance between usBlurb (on back of book)Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.
So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.
She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.

MY OPINION: *****

Good book in my opinion. Very easy and quick to read. Slightly predictable, but fun all the same.

I liked how this book shows that society and social status doesn't necessarily define who YOU as a person are. Sure, you can be rich and have a lot of stuff, but that doesn't mean that you are going to be snarky and rude, especially to people beneath you. I have to admit. There is a social status in life, but that doesn't mean that everyone in one branch is bad or good, etc. This book had an awesome message and theme.

I liked Xander. He was not my favorite character type, but he was definitely a likeable person who was able to get out of his stereotypical life sometimes and just be who he wanted to be.

I don't get Caymen's mom. She lied to her daughter for her whole life...to protect her? Or just to hide and protect herself. What kind of a mom is that?

Caymen herself. As a character, she annoyed me. I mean, if I met her in real life, she wouldn't be my friend. She was too full-of-herself in a way, thinking that Xander liked her and Mason liked her, etc. She was annoying as a whole, but she was still very well-drawn in a writing sense.

I liked Mason. Honestly, I liked him better than Xander at some points. He was really a nice guy, and I felt bad for him when he realized that Caymen was with Xander. He was wrong about some things, but still nice all the same.

This plot was confusing. I liked the general theme of the book, but the plotline didn't really help 100%. If you read the book, you'll know what I am talking about.

I gave this book a 5 stars because I liked the writing, I liked the pacing, and I liked the fact that it all seemed really real and it gave me a sense that I wasn't just reading about some characters who would just become invisible to me once I finished the book itself.

Matthew's story was weird. He was the person who collected money from them? I liked the red herring that Kasie West put in this part of the book, because I honestly had no idea who he really was. I didn't 100% believe that he was dating Caymen's mom, but he still seemed like he wasn't all that important.

Caymen's grandparents. That was a confusing scene, but it did make sense once it was all over. I liked how it was so shocking to both Caymen and the reader.

In general, this was a great book. Short review for short book. I would recommend this to YA or even MG lovers, especially if you like a lot of romance!

Main Character: Caymen
Sidekick(s): Xander, Skye, Henry, Mason, etc
Villain(s): Social status, rich (in a way), being poor, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: All of this is entirely based on realistic happenings around the world.

Comments