The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Found - Harlan Coben

Found by Harlan Coben
Genre: YA Mystery/Suspense
Image result for found harlan coben
Blurb (on back of book): Murder. Mystery. High School.
A new Mickey Bolitar novel following on from Shelter and Seconds Away. It’s been eight months since Mickey Bolitar witnessed the tragic death of his father.Eight months of lies, dark secrets and unanswered questions.As if that wasn’t bad enough, Mickey’s sophomore year of high school brings on a whole new set of troubles. Spoon is in hospital, Rachel won’t tell him where he stands, his basketball team-mates hate him . . . and then there’s Ema’s surprise announcement: she has an online boyfriend and he’s vanished.Whilst searching for Ema’s missing boyfriend(who may not even exist!), Mickey gets roped into helping his nemesis, Troy Taylor, with a big problem.All the while, Mickey and his friends are pulled deeper into the mysteries surrounding the Abeona Shelter – until the shocking climax, where Mickey finally comes face-to-face with the truth about his father.

MY OPINION: *****

This was definitely my favorite of the three. It was a lot less cliche and it was harder to guess at twists. There was so much information in this book that it made my head spin at times, especially when I was reading late at night. This book is something I will probably be rereading sometime, but probably not in the near future.

I will make this a short review today, as I will probably post an updated review when I reread it.

OK, I loved all of the plot twists in this book! The author has this incredible way of adding red herrings to books that really confuse readers but make them distracted so that they don't notice the real things happening.

SPOILER ALERT

BUCK DIED. I can't believe it. I never saw it coming. Honestly. I thought he had just ran away or something, but the thing is, he died a long time ago! He died in about the middle of the book. I can't believe I was stupid enough to be diverted with the red herring of Buck leaving to live with his mom. I feel as if a little part of me knew, but didn't believe it.

I can't believe Emma liked Buck online. I guess that shows how people are different when they are underneath a hidden cover. This was a very well-delivered message.

This book was so easy to relate to in so many different ways. First, everything Mickey said was all so true! I also liked the role of teamwork in this story, although that didn't end well...

Mickey was honestly kind of dumb in this book. I mean, he got tricked by Troy to go to the meeting and made him late for practice. Then he believes Troy about the steroids and ends up getting betrayed. Mickey was so stupid when it concerned Troy. That was pretty obvious. Always believe Emma!

MICKEY'S DAD IS STILL ALIVE. It was so obvious, but yet still shocking at the same time.

Spoon's story was never finished. That was actually kind of sad. Does he ever get better? There are so many loose ends that was never tied up in this book. I'm pretty sure there isn't a fourth book in this series....

Also, there was no point in the character of Ashley in the first book. I know she was important, but I'm sure the author could have found a way to incorporate the details he needed without creating a whole new character, especially since we never see her after the end of the first book. The same goes for Jared Lowell, though his character did make a little sense...red herring!

I think that's going to sum it up. This was my favorite of the series...4.5 stars! I would recommend reading this if you like a lot of thriller and action and suspense.

Main Character: Mickey Bolitar
Sidekick(s): Ema, Spoon, Rachel, Buck, etc
Villain(s): Troy, drugs, misunderstandings, etc
Mystery/Suspense Elements: Lots of mystery and suspenseful moments.

****For my Goodreads followers and friends, you should know I also finished Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix yesterday, but I will not be reviewing it here until tomorrow, so people don't get overloaded :) ****


Comments