The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

The Moon Dwellers - David Estes

The Moon Dwellers by David Estes
Image result for the moon dwellers bookGenre: YA Dystopian/Action/Adventure

Blurb (on back of book): In a desperate attempt to escape destruction decades earlier, humankind was forced underground, into the depths of the earth, creating a new society called the Tri-Realms.
17-year-old Adele, a member of the middle-class moon dwellers, is unjustly sentenced to life out of prison deep underground. When a war breaks out within the Tri-Realms, Adele must escape from prison and seek to uncover her parent's true past, armed with only a wicked roundhouse kick and two fists that have been well-trained for combat by her father.
In her world someone must die.

MY OPINION: *****

Whew, what a long read! It was actually very good! I really liked the characters and the plot line. The setting, the Tri-Realms, was actually really well-written in my opinion. I think that the idea was ingenious and something that was really crucial to the story and really made it more diabolical and incredible.

Whoever saw my Goodreads review saw that I gave it a 4.5 stars. Now I have changed my mind. I give it a five stars because I started to think more about the book. First thing after I'm done with this post, I'm totally changing that rating!

Adele was so STRONG. She literally fought and defeated everyone who came her way, and she even kicked TRISTAN. That was such a funny scene. I love the girl power in this book. We need some more of that nowadays. Even though so many more authors are starting to realize that females aren't bad protagonists. But still.

This book's main group was actually an interesting selection. I feel as if most authors put groups of two boys and one girl, or two boys, or two girls. This book had two girls and one boy for a lot of it, and then they added two boys. So this book was a little different and there was a lot larger group.

Tristan was really strong, and I admired his strength and bravery. He's really nothing like what his father wants him to be, and it literally take s a whole book for him to really figure that out, make a decision, and stay with it.

I'm so confused about the pain that Adele and Tristan feel when they are next to each other. Or close by to each other. It sounds so painful! But I don't know why it's happening...yet.

I didn't plan to read the next books of the series, but after that ending I think I just have to. I have to know.

SPOILER ALERT

The cannibal scene was actually strangely creepy. The description of the old lady was downright grotesque, but it was described really well. And when they found out about the spit and everything; I was just creeped out.

When Cole died, I literally almost cried and I wanted to kill Rivet. ALL OF MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS IN BOOK ALWAYS DIE. Which is probably why I don't try to get attached too much to one character or another. Cole was just so awesome.

I can't believe Tristan didn't tell Adele about the earth dwellers. JUST WHY??

Why did so many guys ROAR in this book? Whenever they were fighting, someone roared.

Elsey was just so SWEET and MATURE. Beautiful character and well-drawn.

It was a great book that I would definitely recommend to anyone who likes a ton of drama.

Main Character: Adele
Sidekick(s): Tristan, Tawni, Roc, Cole, Elsey
Villain(s): The Sun Dwellers, the Star Dwellers, Nailins (not Tristan), Rivet and his army, etc
Dystopian/Action/Adventure Elements: Dystopian features, tons of action and fighting, and lots of adventure.

*Sorry for short review

Thanks, MIC

PS Please follow and comment


Comments