The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Eleanor and Park - Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction

Blurb (on back of book): two misfits.
Image result for Eleanor and parkone extraordinary love.
eleanor...red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough...Eleanor.
park...He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the pinch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makers her want to keep promises...park.

Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-oldssmart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try.

MY OPINION: ****

I would give this book a 4.5 stars if I could. That being said, I think that this book had a really good plot, and very well-drawn characters who were realistic. I liked the chapter formats and how Rainbow Rowell made her characters seem real and there right next to me.

The reasons I didn't give this book a full 5 stars is this:

1. There was so much profanity on every single page!
2. The ending confused me a little bit.
3. This book just wasn't the best. I feel like it could have been better.

I enjoyed reading this book and taking in all of the adventures that Eleanor and Park have together and apart. This book had a lot of zing, and I think that it really made my Top 100, if not my Top 50. (Check iRandom soon, I will be blogging about my Top 100 ASAP).

Anyways, this book had a nice feel to it, you know? For those of you who have read it, you will know that this book had a lot of real stuff in it. It all seemed so real. I liked the writing style and everything, but it just wasn't AMAZING.

Eleanor kind of annoyed me at some parts. I didn't hate her (I almost never hate book characters), but I also didn't love her. I am not so mad at her that I would bully her or anything (I definitely felt bad while reading those parts - why is this book so real??), but she really made me want to punch her face in at some points.

I mean, I get that she doesn't want to be girly girl, but in the scene where Park's mom gives her a makeover? She absolutely hated it! She should at least be thankful, and I just don't get it!

That being said, although Eleanor was annoying, I liked her ideas and everything. She was really smart when it came to Shakespeare.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Does Park want to be the Princess Leia or the Han Solo? I didn't really get that part because it wasn't elaborated on very much. He is in a relationship, but yet he still feels feminine. I don't know how to interpret this idea because Park never came out and said anything, and he was confused himself so...

Who else pronounced DeNice's name as Denise? I did!

Park wasn't the most striking character to me. He didn't click with me, and I don't know why.

I'm sorry for all of the bad stuff. Here are the compliments.

It was an amazing story that kept me hooked. It had great characters and a nice setting, but the ending was unclear and foggy to me. It had a great beginning, and it was definitely consistent.

I would recommend this book to YA lovers.

Main Character: Eleanor and Park
Sidekick(s): Steve, Cal, DeNice, Beebe, etc
Villain(s): Richie, Tina, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: All of this was very realistic and could easily happen in real life.

Comments