The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Through the Ever Night - Veronica Rossi

Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi
Genre: YA Dystopian/Fantasy

Image result for into the ever nightBlurb (on back of book): It's been months since Aria learned of her mother's death. Months since Perry became Blood Lord of the Tides, and months since Aria last saw him.
Now Aria and Perry are about to be reunited. 
It's a moment they've been longing for with countless expectations. And it's a moment that lives up to all of them. At least, at first.
Then it slips away. The Tides don't take kindly to former Dwellers like Aria. And the tribe is swirling out of Perry's control. With the Aether storms worsening every day, the only remaining hope for peace and safety is the Still Blue. But does this haven truly exist?
Threatened by false friends and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night?
In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and sci-fi elements to create a captivating adventure—and a love story as perilous as it is unforgettable.

MY OPINION: *****

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book through and through. Of course, there were some parts that I was confused on, or some parts that didn't particularly interest me, but that is normal for all books. This book had moments that left me thinking deeper, and that is all an author can ask for when writing a book. Does my writing make my readers intrigued and want to know more? Do my readers make inferences from my writing?

Aria is this girl who has bravery and strength combined, to form one strong and amazing girl. Of course, she is not flawless; nobody is perfect. But he has enough ability and talent to make her mistakes right, and persevere. Aria has this amazing and beautiful love for Perry, and her heart is loyal and true, which is more than I can say of Perry. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Aria, although she has relationships with other males, has one true love. Aria and Roar: yes, I do see them together, and I wish they could end up together, but I know that it will never be, unless it is just this incredible plot-twister.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

I feel Roar. I know how he is feeling, especially after Liv died. Roar has these unique qualities that make him, well, Roar. He is strong, brave, loyal, and a good person to have by your side. Roar is definitely my favorite character. Roar is just this great person who you can really empathize with. In fact, Roar is my most understandable character because of certain things.

Perry, now Perry he is just this guy who is confused about his new role, and worried, and scared, and all of these other emotions all jumbled together. I cannot believe he basically almost cheated on Aria. I mean, sure, Kirra is a nice person, but he RENDERED to Aria, and here he goes.

I promised myself no CAPS, but I failed :)

Anyways, Perry is a guy you can't really understand, but he isn't plain confusing. Words can't explain Peregrine.

Talon. Cinder. Willow. Three children in this whirlwind of YA. Anyways, Talon is so sweet and adorable, and he has a good heart all-in-all. Cinder has saved Perry's life twice now, and the second time, he almost died himself. Willow, she is just this girl who helps Cinder go through the hard times. I feel like she is going to be a much bigger character in Into the Still Blue, which I am reading now, by the way.

Lastly, I feel like this book is very predictable, in a way. Well, it is very unique, and strange, and it doesn't really follow any sort of actual outline, but SOME parts are very easy to predict. I made little future predictions to myself, and nine-out-of-ten, I got them right, so...

Go figure.

Ok, I wanted to talk more, but it is getting late, and I have other stuff to do. I just wanted to get this in today, before I forget tomorrow :)

I would recommend this book to All YA Fans.

Main Character: Perry and Aria
Sidekick(s): Talon, Roar, Cinder, Willow, Bear, Reef, Liv, Soren (YES, him), etc
Villain(s): Aether storms, false friends, etc
Dystopian/Fantasy Elements: Set in an unreal world, with unreal elements. Has futuristic feel, and very dystopian-like world.

Comments