The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

My So-Called Family - Courtney Shienmel

My So-Called Family by Courtney Shienmel
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction

Image result for my so called familyBlurb (on back of book): Leah Hoffman-Ross just moved to New York and she wants her new friends to think she's a typical thirteen-year-old. But Leah has a secret: She doesn't have a father; she has a donor. Before leah was born, her mother went to lyon's reproductive Services and picked Donor 730. Now Leah has a stepfather and a little brother, and her mom thinks that they should be all the family Leah needs.
despite her attempts to fit in and be normal, Leah can't help but feel like something is missing. When she finds the link to the Lyon's Sibling Registry, Leah has to see if she has any half siblings. And when she discovers that one of the other kids from Donor 730 is a girl her age, Leah will do anything to meet her—even if she has to hide it from everybody else.
Debut author Courtney Sheinmel outs a contemporary spin on a timeless question in this heartfelt novel about what makes a family. 

MY OPINION: ****

So I actually finished two books in the same day, but I just chose this one for today because I finished this one first. I would have posted both, but I was afraid that you guys would only see the second post and not this one, so I decided that I would just do this one today, and do the other one tomorrow. You will find out what it tomorrow :) Also, writing two in one day is confusing for my readers (you), and also too time-consuming ;)

Anyways, this is not my favorite book for different reasons. The writing is not bad, and it has good style. But in my view, the book's plot wasn't amazing, it wasn't breathtaking, and it wasn't my favorite.

This book is not a bad book! THE WRITING IS PROFESSIONAL, THE CHARACTERS ARE REALISTIC AND MOST PEOPLE WILL ENJOY READING THIS!!!!

The only reason I did not enjoy this book is because it just didn't "agree" with me. It just wasn't my type of story. It was a good book, but the plot just didn't stick with me.

Courtney Shienmel is an amazing writer! Sincerely, which I have previously reviewed, was AMAZING! I am not telling you not to read this book: instead, please do! It's just that, if you read like me, you might not enjoy it as much.

Leah has a hard life, what with her family and growing up. She is a brave and determined character, and is a strong role model for girls everywhere.

Overall, I would recommend this book to preteens around the world, especially those who like realistic fiction!

Main Character: Leah
Sidekick(s): Avery, Samantha, Charlie, Andrew, Henry, Tate, etc
Villain(s): LIFE, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: All of this could happen in real life, though it does not necessarily mean that it will.

Comments