The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Quiet Power - Susan Cain

Quiet Power by Susan Cain
Genre: J/YA Nonfiction (Guidebook)

Blurb (on back of book): When Susan Cain was a young teen, she was often asked why she was so quiet. For years she did her best to be "outgoing," which always seemed the highest compliment a person could get. She forced herself to speak up in class, and she went to crowded parties even though she would have preferred to hang out with one or two friends. But as time went on, she gradually realized that her quiet approach to life had been a great strength all along. Other people had been noticing — and praising her for — her deep thinking, her listening skills, and her calm demeanor.
Susan shared this wisdom in a bestselling, award-winning book called Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, which sparked a worldwide conversation. With her inspiring book, she permanently changed the way society views introverts and the way introverts view themselves.
Now she brings that awareness to the lives of kids and teens. Focusing on school, friendship, family life, and extracurriculars, Susan Cain shares bits of her own story as well as those of many actual kids who have made a mark in their own quiet way. Full of insights and practical advice, this empowering and useful guide will be eye-opening to extroverts and introverts alike.

MY OPINION: *****

This was a really well-written book. I am a MAJOR introvert, and my teachers would always tell me to speak up and participate more. But as I started to read this book, I realized that there were other people like me, and being quiet was not a weakness. Personally, I have always found being quiet as a thing that made me so different from others; all of my friends always are asking me why I'm not talking, or why am I being so reserved. I don't know how to answer such questions: I don't know why!

Until this book came along.

It really helped me a lot. I have learned a ton from this book. I think ANYONE would. Loud people can learn about the quiet ones, and the quiet ones can learn about themselves. I think that this is a really good read for anyone.

I would recommend this book to ANYONE. Adults, teens, kids. Adults might like her more mature book, which is mentioned in the blurb, but many elders might sneak a peek at this book also.

THERE ARE NO MAIN CHARACTERS, SIDEKICKS, VILLAINS, OR ANYTHING ELSE IN THIS BOOK.

Comments